Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If I buy Win 7 pro What version can be installed more then once?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 epoweredrc

epoweredrc

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

okay, so in the past they have been OP system disks that could only be installed once, or only on one PC ever. then they have been disks that were able to be installed on multiple machines and as many times as needed, I used to have a copy of win ME that I reinstalled on a old PC over 10 times I know ( computer keep crashing)

So, is there any copy's of windows 7 Pro out there that can be installed on multiple PC's and multiple times or what is the deal with win 7? I keep wanting to upgrade my current PC if i can or if not I want to buy another used PC i keep finding some with Duo core's and 4-6 GB of memory RAM but lots have XP on them. Is it simple enough to just buy it and then load Win 7 onto it? be nice to be able to even maybe load it onto my current Machine also. I guess it would run it ok being a single pro and 2.8ghz and 2.99 Ram can stick up to 4gb in if needed. I understand win 7 needs more ram to run well?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KAlliance

KAlliance

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

unfortunately, 1 license 1 computer

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-i-install-windows-7-on-multiple-computers-that/f6be367f-4aae-4f56-8628-972d370b3361

#3 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

That stinks. So if I buy a computer with win  7 on it and it says it comes with a restore media or recovery disk means what. most say they have a COA also. COA means the sticker on the PC showing the windows OP is real right?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

KAlliance is basically correct, as is the info he refers you to on the MS web-site.

However, an OEM copy can be re-installed on the one computer a number of times in the event of OS problems - I have done three full installs on my own in the time I have been running Win 7.

A retail copy can be re-installed on its original machine again a number of times AND later moved to a different machine if either the OS is removed from the earlier machine OR if the machine is irrepairably dead. This latter condition may well require a phone call to MS, but in my experience they can be reasonably flexible about this.

A machine that comes with 'recovery' discs or a 'recovery' partition almost certainly has an OEM build installed on it, and the recovery discs or partition can be used any number of times to repair that computer, but only that computer.

Further, as I understand it, if a computer has a valid COA and a repair install is required, you can use any equivalent copy of Windows to carry out the repair so long as you use the COA that came with the computer. Again, this may require a phone call to MS to get it approved.

Does that add any clarification ?

Chris Cosgrove

#5 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info. After thinking about it , i don't think i want to upgrade this PC to win 7, i had to do a reinstall of XP pro once and it took me forever to get all the needed drivers and all back installed audio didn't work for a yr. Think i will just get a newer PC with it already on it but guess will diff look for the COA sticker to be on it and some type of recover disk

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Think i will just get a newer PC with it already on it but guess will diff look for the COA sticker to be on it and some type of recover disk

Keep in mind as you are looking for a new system that recovery disks most likely will not be included. Instead, it will have recovery partition, which takes the place of disks. You should be able to create a set of disks of the partition. Since you will probably be able to create only 1 set of disks you can copy those to other disks for a back up set.

#7 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Think i will just get a newer PC with it already on it but guess will diff look for the COA sticker to be on it and some type of recover disk

Keep in mind as you are looking for a new system that recovery disks most likely will not be included. Instead, it will have recovery partition, which takes the place of disks. You should be able to create a set of disks of the partition. Since you will probably be able to create only 1 set of disks you can copy those to other disks for a back up set.

Oh, alright thanks for the info

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

As KAlliance said one license for one machine.  You can reload that machine as many times as necessary, but may need to contact Microsoft to activate if you are doing it frequently.

To expand on what Chris Cosgrove said, OEM licenses are tied to the hardware.  A retail license can be moved to a new machine provided it is removed from the machine where it was installed previously.

This is what is legal.  Can you install the same copy of Windows 7 on a bunch of machines with the same key, probably.  Is it legal, NO and there are some pretty harsh penalties

The copyright owner may then choose between actual damages, which include the amount it has lost because of your infringement, and statutory damages, which can be as much as $150,00 for each program copied.  In addition, the government can criminally prosecute you for copyright infringement.  If convicted, you can be fined up to $250,000, or sentenced to jail for up to five years, or both.

While you should be able to use the information from the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker I have found this to be above the average user's ability, mostly due to the requirement of OEM media.  Especially for mass produced machines as they use a single key for all machines that is tied to information on their system boards.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

There is one other way to make multiple installations legally, this would be to purchase a MS Volume license.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.aspx

I seriously doubt that this would appeal to your for the purpose you have in mind.  But I just wanted to let you know that there is this option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

...and a variation of a volume license (allows using same license on 3 systems) is Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack .

Louis

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Hamluis, we live and learn ! 

I didn't know that product - the family pack - was still available. I thought it was essentially an initial offer upgrade and had gone off the market about a year and a half after the Win 7 launch.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

I thought same, Chris :)...but in the wonderful world of computing, things change every day and I suppose that someone found a use for excess inventory on hand...or MS figured that it could make some more bucks on Win 7.  It was unavailable for some time, but Amazon seems to have access.

So Do Other Vendors

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users