Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Extends XP Malware Updates One Year

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Microsoft softened its hard-line stance on halting support for Windows XP after the April 2014 cutoff date, stating it will provide antimalware signature updates for XP users through July 14, 2015. The move, Microsoft said, is designed to help businesses complete XP migrations.

Full story here: http://www.crn.com/news/security/240165469/microsoft-extends-xp-malware-updates-one-year.htm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

I was looking forward to watching the biggest botnet ever take down the internet as a whole... Microsoft has spoiled all my fun.

oh no... scrap that, still no security patches. I just read the article.

#3 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Quite true, TsVk!, nothing like a false sense of security. The sad part? How many will misinterpret this announcement. 

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

Totally, it is actually worse than if they just stuck to their guns. Now 500 million (give or take a few) computer users will think they have still got another year, when in fact their machines are still wide open.

Muahahahaha! (evil laugh) It's going to be very interesting.

#5 Ajmarks

Ajmarks

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

So for those of us with machines that CAN'T be upgraded from XP (e.g. a netbook with no CD-ROM or a CPU with too limited hardware)...what are we supposed to do?

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

I'm actually writing a book on that.... really must dig in and finish it.

In short. Create secure settings and isolate your machine as best as possible from threats. Or load up Linux.

#7 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

I'd like to +1 the Linux idea.

I've been mulling over what to do with (one of) my old XP machine(s) and have been playing around with different flavors (distros) and among all that I have tried the Lucid Puppy is amazingly fast on my old hardware.

Here's a link, first one at the top of the page is Slacko Puppy but if you scroll down a bit you'll find the Lucid Puppy (lupu-528.005.iso) which I burned to a CD-R (it's small enough that you don't even need a DVD).

One other note, the first time you use this Puppy you'll need to install the browser of your choice - that was one of the things that threw me at first - but I figured it out and I'm not all that savvy with the Linux.

I've got another link that will walk you through installing it to a USB if you'd like, otherwise, you can test drive the Live CD and see how your hardware handles it.

Hope that helps.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Linux Mint is very friendly to novice Linux users... One bug (wireless driver needs adding with ndiswrapper) to fix, but other than that just plug and play. Very Windowsesque.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users