Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carolhall1

carolhall1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

I have been using an HP Laser Jet 1020 for several years with no problems. All at once, it stopped working about a week ago. I can no longer print any documents, emails, etc. I can, however, print a Test Page from Windows Control Panel (Devices & Printers, Printer Properties, General Tab). Does this indicate the printer is connected properly and my problem is with the computer software? The Windows Troubleshooter could not find a problem. I also attempted to delete files in the Print Spooler, but it was empty. I did Stop and Restart the Spooler anyway. Any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 16 January 2014 - 03:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

If you can print a test page from devices and printers, then the printer is installed correctly. Try opening up a blank notepad in Windows, type some garbage into it and see if you can print it out. If it prints successfully, then I would suggest it's in the software which may need to be reinstalled.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

One other suggestion, Make sure the printer is set as the default printer.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Go to the Search programs and files box and type in devmgmt.msc, then press Enter.

When the Device Manager opens scroll down to Printers, click on the clear diamond, then double click on your printer.

In the window that opens there will be a box titled Device Status, if it is working properly it will start This device is working properly.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 carolhall1

carolhall1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

I'm more confused now. I can print from notepad ok. However, after opening devmgmt.msc and scrolling to Imaging devices, my printer is not listed there, although it is shown in Devices & printers under Control Panel and checked as the default printer. Any other suggestions?

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

If notepad prints successfully, then take a look at the software that's causing the issue and reinstall it. Also make sure that when you're using the software and you're fixing to print to make sure that the printer you want to print to is selected. I know a lot of times some programs still like to point to Microsoft Onenote...

Edited by chrisd87, 16 January 2014 - 05:47 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#7 carolhall1

carolhall1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Thanks to all, my printer is working now after downloading the software from HP and reinstalling. I do have a question, however. After opening devmgmt.msc, there in no longer a printer or imaging device category listed. What gives?

Thanks again

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

You will find it in the Control Panel under Devices and Printers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users