Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website opens on one computer but not the other.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 UltraSlash

UltraSlash

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

Hi,

A small business in my city is experiencing difficulty related to their website.  Sometimes the site will be up, sometimes it will be down.  Sometimes it works on one computer while the other can't find the site at all.  Sometimes the site will be found in Internet Explorer but not in Chrome (the two browsers they use).  This is all within their own network (behind a firewall).

I have found the site up and down from my home and other locations.  There really doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the website status.

I'm working with the host provider (who is local, but use Rackspace) to resolve the issue.  The provider made a move of offices, so I'm wondering if it's a problem on their side.

Caches have been cleared, Browsers reset.  Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hello :welcome: to BleepingComputer!

It sounds like a problem with the host, if they are having issues with their own network or with their hardware then the site will be affected. This is proven greater when you say it does the same outside of the business network and inside different browsers.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 UltraSlash

UltraSlash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I've been sort of blaming the inconsistency on the host.  Ever since the organization has moved to Office 365 using a domain purchased through the local host it has been nothing but headaches.

I'm hoping the situation can be resolved, but I've already started pushing the group to transfer to a new host.  The problems have been going on far too long. 

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

There are plenty of hosts out there, sadly I do not have one I could recommend, but if they do end up switching and the issues remain it could have to do with the way the server is setup or the site itself. But to diagnose any issues with the site (in the way its written/programmed) you would have to have access to web server logs to see if its reporting any errors.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 UltraSlash

UltraSlash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

This morning I found one laptop - side by side - able to access the website.  when I run a tracert and ping I get the same results on both:

Ping could not find host www.xxxxxxxxx.ca,  Please check the name and try again.

Unable to resolve target system name www.xxxxxxxx.ca.

Both can access every other website.  The one just doesn't find the website in question.

#6 Guest_philsmith_dot_com_*

Guest_philsmith_dot_com_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

You have a DNS problem. Try the command "dig www.xxxxxxxxx.ca" on the working computer, and the non-working computer, and check the responding server. Then plug in the IP address from the working computer into the browser bar on the non-working computer, and if it site loads, that will confirm it.

#7 UltraSlash

UltraSlash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice.  We've started the process of transferring to a new host that will give us some control of the domain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users