Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to disable or get rid of alignment grid?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bertiemae

bertiemae

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

When I turned on my computer this morning, this alignment grid thing appeared. Is there any way that I can disable this?  I tried to google for answers, but all I can find is to right click on desktop, click on view and uncheck "align icons to grid" but that is not the solution. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached File  Capture.JPG   116.47KB   4 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by bertiemae, 16 January 2014 - 11:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bertiemae

bertiemae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

When I turned on my computer today, this grid appeared all across the screen.  I haven't changed any settings so was wondering if someone has any ideas as to what to do?  Thanks.  I have Windows 7 64 bit.

Attached File  Capture 2c.jpg   21.98KB   4 downloads

#3 bertiemae

bertiemae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

I finally figured out my problem.  Thanks anyway.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

What exactly was the message?

What are we suppose to see in the attachment?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

Alright, you double posted this same topic. Does your solution apply to both topics?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Merged duplicate posts.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 bertiemae

bertiemae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

First of all, it wouldn't let me upload the picture so I tried to cancel post and made the picture smaller.  The picture had grid lines in it and I couldn't get rid of them.  And second, I don't know how to merge duplicate posts.  I would have canceled the first post if there was a way.  I am new here and sometimes have trouble finding my way around.  Sorry. 

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Not a problem it was just that it became two people working in different posts.. Better they can see any progress in one post. We don't expect you to know how to fix the posting issues.. That's why I'm here :)
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

We don't expect you to know how to fix the posting issues.. That's why I'm here :)

and he's thinking about hiring me as a backup... :bowdown:

I was just making sure that your solution covered both of the topics and just not the one that you replied in. You could have 2 identical topics with different problems in each one...

Edited by chrisd87, 16 January 2014 - 12:48 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#10 maxwel Smart

maxwel Smart

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

I have the alignment grid on y screen today also. I don't see the solution to how to get rid of it when I come to this thread with the same problem from another user. Did it get deleted? Or ws it never posted?

Thanks!

Windows 8.1 64bit (and still suffering) 5 os's later!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

Try resetting the monitor. Go to the monitor menu and look for something like system settings > Reset. What is the make and model of the monitor?

#12 maxwel Smart

maxwel Smart

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

I should be more clear about what happened after checking email, I closed my open icons and went to the bottom left corner of the desktop in Windows 8.1 Professional. I clicked on the Window icon in the bottom left corner. When I got to the main Windows 8.1 Panels screen, I shut the computer off using the menu option from the upper left corner, like normal and usual. When I tuned it back on, as the main Windows 8.1 Pro came up to look for my password, the words Alignment Grid was on the center of the screen in large letters and there was a blue box in the lower right of the screen that said quickfit, and then both messages left within a split second. After this happens, I tried clicking on every single thing I could looking for the way to shut this off and I cant find anything.

Ive gone into right click menu for display option and made sure there is no checkbox for align icons or automatically line up icons. I have clicked on every menu I can think of and I cant find any information on this.

My monitor is an Asus VN247. The menu keys are not responsive on the monitor. I tried hitting all of them and nothing happens. I even took the hdmi cable from the back and just powered the monitor up on its own and then hit all of the keys in the back of the monitor and nothing happens. Not even in the menu.

I guess I need to call Asus on Monday!

Anu suggestions would be great since Im tired of looking at a grid while using this machine all day!

Thanks again!

#13 maxwel Smart

maxwel Smart

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

I solved the problem. I have no idea how it started but the grid lines were from the monitor itself. I have no idea of what started it or what the cause was. All of the monitor buttons were unresponsive UNTIL I clicked the last one facing the monitor on the left. Its opposite the power button. I kept pressing it and it put various types of grids on the screen. As of this minute, I have no idea of what the purpose is the for grid. Some of the different grids were for pictures, 5 x8 dashed lines, 3 x 5, and 2 x 2 and the rest of the screen would be dark except the photo dimensions boxes. Anyway, if you hit this button all of the way on the left enough times, the grid goes away and then all of the other monitor buttons become responsive again.  

I spent hours trying to figure this out and no matter how good I am with Windows, features of Microsoft office, and Windows utilities, something always pops up that becomes a new experience.  

I really hope that this post help someone else down the road take minutes to fix this problem when it happens to them! Again, my monitor is an Asus VN247

Edited by maxwel Smart, 08 June 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Since nobody else has said it - Welcome to BC !

I'm glad you got that problem sorted. The purpose of the grid is probably to check that the monitor's alignment is correct.

Stolen has produced an up to date and very good guide on how to post images on BC, the reference is :- 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526405/how-to-insert-an-image/

And just a tip !  The next time you are trying to take a screenshot of something like that, it shows up better against a plain colour wall-paper than against a photograph which itself has very strong verticals.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

Most all flat screen have the control buttons on the edges, I have pulled up the menu and other things while adjusting the position.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users