Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profile Missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 k_tec12

k_tec12

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

have a sony vaio laptop with windows 7 installed. One of the users(with administrative rights) logon profile is missing.

the other user does not have administrative rights, and the default administrator account is not enable.

I know what needs to be done to fix the missing user profile. But  when i am trying to rename the S-1-5 folder

using the other user(no administrative rights) keep getting the following error "The registry Editor cannot rename S-1-5************* Error while renaming key"

What else can i do to fix the missing user profile?????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,429 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

I am not sure this would work as the admin profile is missing but try to change the user to admin in control panel. The UAC will pop up and ask for a password.

If that does not work, try the following. In the search box type cmd. Right click > run as administrator then type the following which will enable the hidden administrator account.

net user administrator /active:yes

Log out and you should be able to log into administrator to do the edit.

After you are finished disable the hidden administrator account by typing

net user administrator /active:no

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 January 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

The default administrative account is always active, it is normally hidden.

You can make it visible by typing in cmd in the search box, then press Enter.

When the elevated command prompt opens copy and paste, or type net user administrator /active:yes

You should receive the message The command completed successfully.

Edit:  John beat me to it. 

There may be a problem with trying to Run as administrator since the only administrative account is the default administrator account.  You may be able to accomplish this as a non-administrator user, press Enter after entering the command cmd.

Edited by dc3, 16 January 2014 - 10:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

I stand corrected, you can use this command in a non-administrator user account.  I used the guest account in my Windows 8 and was able to run the command successfully.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 k_tec12

k_tec12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

Tried what you said to do but i am getting a system error 5 , and apparently the admin password is not working.... i dont know if it is because the admin profile is missing

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,429 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

Did you try enabling the hidden admin account in "safe mode with command prompt"?

Edit: If you cannot enable the hidden account in safe mode with command prompt, follow the steps in this article to enable the hidden administrator account offline with a boot CD,

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 January 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#7 k_tec12

k_tec12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Thank You so much it worked.. You guys are doing a wonderfull job and offering a great service..

keep it up!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users