Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA II or III Question?.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

I have a self built desktop PC with the gigabyte MA770T-UD3 1.4 motherboard an AMD Athlon II X3 450 CPU running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1 and a Samsung HD502HJ hard drive. The hard drive is SATA II. This has been a terrific PC with not one single problem in the 4yrs since I built it, lately I have been deliberating over whether to put in a SSD hard drive for the OS and daily operation and use the present hard drive as just storage. I have looked at the SSD drives at Ebuyer and see that although they do have SATA II ones, obviously there is more choice in the SATA III versions. My question is, are the SATA III ones backwards compatible with my PC or do I have to use a SATA II one?. If so, then is there an easy way to make my PC SATA III ready or do I need to build a new PC?. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3533#ov

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

SATA III devices are backward compatible with SATA II.  They will just connect at the lower speed (3 Gb/s).

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thank you.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

That motherboard doesn't support Sata III only Sata II. You can get a Sata III device, but you won't benefit from the speed until you upgrade your motherboard.

South Bridge:

1. 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
  2. 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
  3. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 0+1

Edited by chrisd87, 16 January 2014 - 04:57 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

Do some research on SSD drives there is a bit of work, also need to see if your board has the needed features to gain the full advantage.  I have to do a complete reload after some needed bios changes, mine runs fairly fast but quite a bit off the scores it should be.  All data needs to be backed up as a clean install is necessary, no following the guides can lead to a shorter life and mediocre performance compared to doing it right.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 18 January 2014 - 07:52 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

Here are the basics you really need to take advantage of a new SSD.

1st: Get the largest drive you can. The larger the drive, the greater your wear leveling space.

2nd: Get one with a good reputation, and a company standing behind it. Plextor, Samsung, Crucial, and Intel make great drives, and would all be highly recommended.

3rd: Being as this is a slightly older system, avoid exotic drives, such as Sandforce based drives. The reasoning, is that these drives tend to have a higher rate of incompatibility.

4th: Leave a small amount of space unused. Many people like to leave a space unpartitioned - a few GB is plenty, you just want to ensure there is always space available for wear leveling.

5th: STRIP Windows functions that are not necessary. Kill Superfetch, Indexing, and any other service that likes to write to the disk repeatedly. If you have enough ram, kill the paging/swap file. Get rid of the hibernate function. This has the added benefit of freeing up space equivalent to the amount of ram you have. Use Disk Cleanup to remove all the extra Windows installation files.

Lastly, understand that 99% of the performance gain is from the SSD not having to wait to access data. Don't get hung up on it "only" being capable of 250MB/sec. Those drives are still insanely fast, and unlikely to disappoint.

Edited by waldojim42, 18 January 2014 - 08:38 AM.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users