Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing AdsChoice

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mokin1

mokin1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

How do I remove this advertisment from my system. I've tried spybot, Malwarebytes, adwcleaner and none have seemed to do the job any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

Can I opt out of interest-based advertising?

This is just another version of all these new Savings / Advertising Garbage Programs -

Yes.

Please read in the 2 links at the bottom.

The AdChoices program is all about giving you information and control so that you can make informed choices about the interest-based advertising you receive online. The AdChoices Icon—whether in an advertisement or on Web pages—gives you access to consumer choice mechanisms where you may, at any time, opt out of the interest-based advertising that you receive from participating companies.
http://www.aboutads.info/opt-out-page-help
http://www.aboutads.info/support

You have clicked on some Scam program / ad usually and installed this -

Thank You -

#3 mokin1

mokin1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Thank you for the quick reponse, so 2 questions: 1. I'm assuming it is not safe to have this on my computer and can make it unstable? 2. Should I remove it and how do I do this? I read the links you posted and it says it can't opt me out. btw I'm not to tech savy but I know enough to get me by.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Have you looked at your Add ons to see if it is there so you can delete/disable it?
See quietman7's post 3 here for instructions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513638/malware-or-virus-affecting-my-computer/?hl=%2Bremoval+%2Btool#entry3204205
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mokin1

mokin1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

yes I have checked nothing there that shows adschoice or any ad plugins or extensions

#6 mokin1

mokin1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

I did a few clean ups yesterday cause I noticed I had "Continue to save" installed on my computer I also had a few more infected files that seem to have been removed

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,912 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

What is AdChoice?
When you search, browse, and otherwise interact on eBay and affiliated websites, we're able to use the information we collect to make the ads you see on eBay as relevant to you as possible. We may also work with other websites or ad networks to share information and show you customized ads elsewhere. The information we share can't be used to personally identify you.

What is AdChoice? - How To Specify your preferences from an advertisement to opt out

About Ad Choices
...our ads are based on the content of pages you are viewing, but we also provide ads tailored to your interests. Our hope is that by presenting ads tailored to your interests, we will enhance your experience...

About Ad Choices - I'd like to opt out of interest-based ads. How do I do that?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,912 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Do you want to disable Kontera ads?
To disable, click the link below and then refresh your internet page. If you delete or refresh your cookies, Kontera's ads will be re-activated automatically. Click here to disable.

Kontera Ad Choices

There are several variations and wording with the ads you are referring to so I provided the most common culprits.

#9 mokin1

mokin1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

thank you for the links quietman7 very informative. Question I have then, is this harmfull for my pc? should I worry? Sorry if I'm not understanding or if it was said somewere cause I have not really noticed anything specific about it being harmfull. Thanks

#10 mokin1

mokin1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

and the ads I speak of are the ones that show up on the right side of my yahoo page, youtube etc. They say AdsChoice that's all not kontera ad choice. same symbol as the links that noknojon posted. Thanks

Edited by mokin1, 16 January 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#11 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Hi quietman7!!!

Kontera Ad Choices

when i click the link:  

(Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.kontera.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.)

Stelios :busy:

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

1. I'm assuming it is not safe to have this on my computer and can make it unstable? 2. Should I remove it and how do I do this? I read the links you posted and it says it can't opt me out. btw I'm not to tech savy but I know enough to get me by.

Hi mokin -

1. It will not "harm" the system, but it is Very annoying -

2 . Will the Opt Out Page work if my browser is set to block third party cookies?
No.

Your browser must be set to accept third party cookies in order for the Consumer Opt Out Page (Beta) to properly display status results and to set opt out preferences for your browser. The following links show how to adjust the browser settings of commonly used browsers:
• Internet Explorer:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Block-or-allow-cookies
• Firefox: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Enabling+and+disabling+cookies
• Safari: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Safari/5.0/en/9277.html
• Chrome: http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95647

Does the Opt Out Page set preferences for every computer that I use?

No.

The opt out preferences set by the Consumer Opt Out Page are associated with cookies in the browser that you use to set those preferences, not with you as an individual. When you use a different browser, you will need to visit the Consumer Opt Out Page to review your status and set your preferences for that browser.

Tell them what you think, and ask for solutions (This is a New Program).

This is a BETA version that should not have been released to the public in this form

If you would like to provide feedback, please complete our feedback form.

Regards -

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,912 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hi quietman7!!!

Kontera Ad Choices

when i click the link:  

(Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.kontera.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.)

Stelios :busy:

It's working fine for me in FF.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,912 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

FYI: What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware that UITS will not have thoroughly tested beta software, nor will the software be guaranteed by its maker, so you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

Beta version software is useful for internal demonstrations, testing and previews to select customers, but may be unstable and not yet ready for a release candidate stage. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users