Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP ProBook 455 vs ProBook 450

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bradleyheathhays

bradleyheathhays

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:33 AM

After exhaustive research (and I'd really rather not do any more) I've narrowed it down to two laptops, which are almost identical in every way besides the processor and cache size.

$513 @ Best Buy
HP ProBook 450 G1 with a Intel 4th Gen Core i3 clocking 2.4 GHz with 3MB cache

$479 @ Office Depot
HP ProBook 455 G1 with an AMD Elite A4 - 5150 APU clocking 2.7 GHZ with 1MB cache

At first I was settled on the less expensive 455 but then I noticed the 1MB cache when all other laptops in this price range seem to sport a 2, 3, or 4MB cache.

I really don't run any kind of demanding software at all.  Just need this laptop to be for general use.

What kind of difference in performance should I expect between these two laptops?  With everything else being the same between these two, is the ProBook 450 for an extra $34 bucks worth the difference in processor and cache size?

Edited by hamluis, 16 January 2014 - 10:37 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Buying New Computer - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bradleyheathhays

bradleyheathhays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

Well now here's one I didn't see before.

It's an HP, same as these other two, but called the 455 G1 (F2R65UT#ABA) (ProBook?). It's got an AMD A6 processor, 8 gig mem (vs 4 on the other two), and a 750 HDD (vs 500 on the other ones). Not sure it's cache size though. And it's priced at $479? It's around 7.5 lbs vs. the other two weighing in around 5.5 lbs I think.

Been advised now that the A4 processor on one of the other two I mentioned wasn't worth having. I'm hoping the A6 processor on this new one might be a decent step up?

So what am I missing here? Why does this third HP seem so far ahead of the other two and cost less?

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

The cost difference here isn't the cache. It's the CPU manufacturer. Intel is always more expensive than AMD.

What are you planning to use the notebook for?

Comparing Intel to AMD is like comparing a Mecedes to a Toyota.

Personally, I'm an AMD fan...however an APU may not have enough juice if you are planning on gaming or watching a lot of video.

Edited by Netghost56, 16 January 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

The cost difference here isn't the cache. It's the CPU manufacturer. Intel is always more expensive than AMD.

What are you planning to use the notebook for?

Comparing Intel to AMD is like comparing a Mecedes to a Toyota.

Personally, I'm an AMD fan...however an APU may not have enough juice if you are planning on gaming or watching a lot of video.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Merc vs Yota but yes there is a bit of a difference.

The increase in RAM and the move from the A4 to the A6 for the same price I would go for the last one you mentioned, at worst it will be about the same as the i3 in speed, just a little more power hungry so you may not get quite the battery life out of the machine.

The APU's have very mixed reviews, I've heard from enthusiastic YES's to resounding NO's if you look at the propaganda news from AMD they do run extremely well (the new generation of game consoles run on APU's, though they use modified A8 I believe)

#5 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:28 AM

That Intel i3 will run circles around those APU's. It will also run cooler, and have a longer battery life (assuming HP uses the same sized battery for all those machines).

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users