Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Hard Drive for Vista?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

So my hard drive took a long walk off of a short pier. I am just going to reinstall Vista (since it's mostly my kids and I use it for games, watching TV, etc...)

Are there any hard drives you would recommend? Am I going to have to do anything other than hook up the connectors and pop it in? Then install Vista?

Sorry for so many questions! Thank you so much and I hope this is posted in the right place!

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

buy a new hard drive, not second hand.

Seagate and WD both make good hard drives for cheap.

just hook the hard drive up where the old one was, start your machine but go to the BIOS, change your boot order to CD/DVD first, save and exit, install your new OS from disk. If it is not a system specific disk you will need to download your drivers from the computer manufacturers website, then install them after windows.

You are going to have a hell of a time with 7 years of Vista updates... you have been warned.

#3 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Location:Milky Way Galaxy: Planet Earth: North America:South Dakota
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

WD black are extremely good hard drives and are extremely reliable

#4 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Thank you both so much for your input!  I kind of expect a day or so of updates and restarts.  Bleh....  (thank you for the warning all the same!!! )  

I just cannot justify buying a new PC to simply watch TV, and from what I've seen  Windows 8 doesn't even have Media Player or the ability to play DVDs built in, so it would be even more I'd have to spend to do what I want.

I looked at WD drives, and the vary A LOT in price and size.  Do you have any suggestions on what size drive I should look at? If I can get everything working, I might be storing a tv programme or two on the drive, and some kids' games, nothing terribly taxing, but as I'm getting the drive anyway, I'd like to to do what I need it to do with ease. (If that makes any sense at all!)  :bounce:   Thanks again!!

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

You don't say if this is a desktop or laptop.  The size will depend on what you feel you can afford.  For space you want to go with a mechanical drive, for speed you want to go with a Solid State Drive (SSD).  SSD prices are anywhere from $.50 on up per GB, but they have no moving parts.

Here is a list of mechanical drives from New Egg to give you an idea of cost.  I have drives from all of these manufacturers in my machine.  Go with what is right for you.

As to how big to go, I'd say at least the size of the one that you are replacing.  A DVD can take up to 9GB of drive space, so you can fit about 100 DVDs on a 1TB drive.

#6 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

Thank you so much! I'm so sorry I forgot to mention, it's a desktop PC. An HP.

I'll take a look at the link! Thank you so much again! People here are so helpful, patient, and kind!

#7 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

OK.  I took a look and I "think" I know the one I want to get.  I just wanted to run it passed all of you since you know far better than I do if this one will work.

Here is the PC we have: HP Pavilion Elite m9250f

Here are the specs

I am thinking about getting this drive

Assuming all of my links worked as I wanted them to, do you think this one will work? Or do you think it's too big for the machine?

Thanks!

Edited by High-Flying Bird, 17 January 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

No such thing as too big.  It all depends on what you want to store.  From the link to the machine specifications the machine has two 500GB drives.  If they were configured in RAID 0 they would have appeared as one 1TB drive.  That also means that odds are you have one drive that still works.

If the drive suits your needs then you're good.  If you can afford and want more space you can get a larger drive.  One thing that I've learned from being in IT, if you give users space, the WILL fill it.

#9 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

I know my husband had it "souped up" when he bought it in 2008.  I'm not sure what was added other than a better graphics card for gaming.  It's been slowly walking down the pier mentioned above for a few years and I've nursed it along.  The kids have done the "hard restart" numerous times over that period, especially recently since it would go to sleep and never wake up without a hard restart, or just freeze in the middle of something and stop responding.  I'm going to save the old drives to see if I can get anything back out of them, but I want to start with all new drives so I know that everything is OK.  

If 1T is all it really started out with, I think I'll go a bit higher then, because as you mentioned, if there's space we'll use it! :)  Thank you!!!

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

To save time you can use Autopatcher to bring Vista up to date all at once.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

1 TB is a significant amount of space, and unless you are downloading a LOT, of stuff or copying DVD's to your computer it should meet your needs, and then some.

If you find you do need additional space afterwards, buy a secondary drive to install. Something to do with eggs and baskets...

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

To save time you can use Autopatcher to bring Vista up to date all at once.

I reckon it'd kill Vista if you did that. It struggles doing them 20-50 at a time... Only one way to find out though.

#13 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Very good points! Thank you so much! I would hate to lose everything at once...again. And I'll look into the autopatcher....I'm not sure I'm feeling daring enough to try it though! :)

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Possibly. The only time I've used Autopatcher on a Vista system it didn't need every update. I did do a manual install of SP1 and SP2, however.

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

I did do a manual install of SP1 and SP2, however.

This is a very good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users