Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD flashes, startup error, won't boot or load in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 burlesquemoon

burlesquemoon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

I've looked through the forums and didn't see anything about my specific issue(s). Apologies if I've overlooked a thread already posted.

My issue: My daughter has an emachine with Windows 7 OS. It's been closing webpages while she's on them, so I ran a virus scan. We had AVG and it didn't pick up anything.

Now it flashes a blue screen (too quickly for me to see what messages are displayed), then acts as if it's going to start up. However, it brings up an error message that there is a startup error.

I get an option to start in repair mode or normal mode. I've tried both - normal mode repeats this display. Repair mode runs for a minute, then states that it cannot repair the issue. It takes me to the tools screen and offers the options for Repair, System Restore, Memory Diagnostic, etc. I've run the diagnostics, I've run the chkdsk, all of that. I did several system restores but got a message that system restore didn't restore.

Sometimes it will let me into windows (after attempting to restore several times), but if I have to restart it, it starts all over again.

Yesterday I used this computer to burn a copy of Sophos Virus Tool Scanner. I popped the disk in and started it up, and it loaded Windows (followed by a message that system restore was complete. ?) I ran the scanner, found several Malwares and a Troj/Agent.ADIL virus. It removed the Malware but not the Trojan. I went to malwarebytes and downloaded it, and it removed a bunch of stuff. I had to restart to remove what malwarebytes program found, and now I'm back to square one. Blue screen flashes, it starts to load, I get an error and the options to repair.

When I try to load in any form of safe mode, it starts scrolling through the files, then stops ever ytime at Drivers/avgidsha.sys.

It won't repair (I've tried the built-in system repair also). It won't load in safe mode. I get errors when I try to do a system restore. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I haven't tried resetting it to factory settings yet because my daughter has some stuff on there she would like to have transferred to my external harddrive first (that's if I can get it to open again), but I'm at that point, I think. I'm not even sure that will work.

I hope this is coherent enough to anyone to figure out what I'm saying, here. :-p So - anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Angi

Edited by hamluis, 16 January 2014 - 09:21 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hi Burlesquemoon and welcome to BC.  To help us help you please run the following. Thank you.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

#3 burlesquemoon

burlesquemoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Hi Burlesquemoon and welcome to BC.  To help us help you please run the following. Thank you.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

I would  love to, but I can't get to my desktop to download or save it. I can't get past the startup/boot screen - I get the errors I mentioned above. It won't progress to the desktop at all, right now. I'll continue to work on it, though, and I'll download the minitoolbox if I can get to the desktop.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

When I try to load in any form of safe mode, it starts scrolling through the files, then stops ever ytime at Drivers/avgidsha.sys

I believe something corrupted your AVG drivers and this is keeping the computer from booting. You need to get access to another computer in order to burn the AVG rescue CD and delete any file starting with avg as noted in this article. With the amount of malware discovered on the hard drive, I would be hesitant to attach it to another computer in order to delete the files.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Hi

Since there are malware infections in the machine, it is better to repair your Windows under the supervision and directions of a trained malware helper. BC does have a dedicated section to handle the type of issues you are experiencing. What you first need to do is stop using virus removal tools as incorrect use of them may make the issue worse. Then open a help request in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

You should read the guidelines before equesting help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users