Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connections problem after windows service pack 3 : TCP/IP not enabled.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yippieekiyay

yippieekiyay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

I've been using a reliable laptop with windows home XP on it for years, during this last week, I installed windows service pack 3. Upon startup, the computer gets slow and unresponsive, it says its installing windows updates. but it never goes past 0%. now the computer is paralyzed and frozen for a good while. When the update process is canceled, My wireless connection will fail. attempts to repair it will prompt the message : "TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection, cannot proceed". The windows theme also partially regresses to windows 98 theme. Going to my wireless connection properties, I find that TCP/IP is indeed checked and active. The network fails from as soon as startup, or it can fail a few hours later. The problem has gotten worse lately, where a few days ago it would fail after a few hours. Now, it fails within 30 minutes of startup. I can barely access the internet, would anyone care to help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Ok what happen in your case was that you updated to service pack 3 which also included a bug. Not a virus bug, but a Microsoft bug in their coding of one of the KB updates. What is happening is that the Microsoft Update Agent (wuauclt.exe), which is part of the svhost uses 99% cpu power. You can check it by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+ESC on the  processes tab. There you will see that a svhost is using 99%. However, ignore the system idle process using 99% this is normal.

The first thing you need to do is stop windows updates by going to Start, Control Panel, Microsoft updates. Change to off and hit apply. Go back to processes and high-lite the svhost that is running at 99% and right click and end task. Next you need to check which version of IE you have. Open your IE browser and go to help and about. If you have Version 8 then you need a patch KB2879017. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40390 After Installation reboot the system and then go back to control panel and re-enable Microsoft updates. Verify if the fix has been resolved. Try going to Microsoft updates to see if it loads.

If you have Version 6-7 you need to download IE 8. Be sure to download the proper 32bit or 64bit. To check which OS you have press Hold down the Windows key & press Pause Key. The information there shows which you have. Now download the IE 8 you need Under English section http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8. Reboot your system after install & then re-enable Microsoft Updates in control panel. Verify that the fix has been resolved and go to Microsoft Updates and see if it loads. If not apply the KB patch above and try again. It's hard to say which exactly works and in which order. There isn't whole lot of input or direction from Microsoft on this issue. I have found it to work one way on some systems and others different. I had one that wouldn't patch at all and still had issues. Other things to try...

If there is still an issue try to Install Microsoft Updater 3.0 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932139.aspx

Some other KB patch if nothing else works. KB927891 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6458

Microsoft is ending XP support soon. Once all updates are downloaded I recommend you create a complete backup. It's Best to backup a Clone of your HD to CD or external HD You will save yourself a lot of grief.

Edited by technonymous, 17 January 2014 - 08:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users