Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware on my macbook

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 angelbabe

angelbabe

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hello someone please help me.  I was given a macbook pro as a present.  The person I got it from has installed some kind of spyware on my laptop.  He is able to see my email usage, forums I am registered to, websites I have visited and who knows what.  How can I reset everything and start back new? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

The mac is probably linked to his icloud still so he can see certain things on other apple devices linked to the same icloud account. You can disable things in icloud following this http://www.wikihow.com/Enable/Disable-iCloud-Applications-in-Mac-OS-X-Lion or you could reload the computer from the discs it came with, or purchase new os discs and reload the os.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

They should have done this http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5189 before giving it away. Maybe you could have them go through those steps?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 angelbabe

angelbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi zingo.  The macbook was brand new when I got it.  He did have access to it a few times when I wasn't around.  

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

"I was given a macbook pro as a present.  The person I got it from has installed some kind of spyware on my laptop."

"The macbook was brand new when I got it.  He did have access to it a few times when I wasn't around."

How do you know he can see any of your information and he is not just telling lies.

The only guaranteed method of knowing nothing is on the macbook is to reload the os.

#6 angelbabe

angelbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

I just followed those steps and icloud isnt on there.  I never got an installation disc in the box either.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Also anyone that has your email or blog name can google the name and probably find blogs you post on if it shows your email address or blogger name / nickname.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

If you did not get an installation disc you will need to buy one. I would recommend going to an apple store and buy one there. Also if you have data on the mac you need (pictures, music, videos) back that up first before reloading.

#9 angelbabe

angelbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for all the advice.  I have already saved everything I need off the laptop.  I know it couldn't have come from an email or blog name.  He knows what I'm doing on ebay and craigslist.  I have switched all my emails and pw many times over the past few months.  Is there a program I can install to see if there is a spyware on my laptop?  Also, is reloading os really a for sure for sure way to rid of all spyware I may have?

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

Assuming it is the Maverick OS....

Scroll down on this link and follow the directions there for doing a clean install.

Help to do Clean install OSX Mavericks: Apple Support Communities

Here is a small excerpt from that link above:

.........Warning: Performing a format and clean install of OS X will erase the Macs hard drive and all contents on the drive will be removed. All files, applications, documents, photos, customizations, everything on the computer will be lost in this process. Understand this and know what you are doing, and why, to prevent data loss of critical files. We can not reiterate this enough.

How to Format & Clean Install OS X Mavericks on a Mac

You will need a bootable OS X 10.9 installer drive to accomplish a clean Mavericks install using this method. You can learn how to easily create one here if you haven’t done so yet...........

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 angelbabe

angelbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I have reset my laptop a few times without a disc a disc before and it brought me back to the set up like when I first got it.  Is that the same as reloading os? 

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Reloading an os is a guaranteed method for getting rid of spyware. "He knows what I'm doing on ebay and craigslist" if he knows your craigslist name or ebay name he can see posts you make in public sections on those sites regardless of what computer you use.

#13 angelbabe

angelbabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

I don't have a cl user name and he shouldn't know my ebay user name or even my email address for that matter.  All he has is my address and phone number.  The other way is if he somehow got the password to my router?  I have ruled out all other possibilities.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

"I have reset my laptop a few times without a disc a disc before and it brought me back to the set up like when I first got it.  Is that the same as reloading os?" This is likely the same as reloading, take in mind in rare cases restore partitions can be infected, the only guaranteed method is reloading from a factory disc as the disc can not be written to and would for certain contain no virus related objects.

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Since you mentioned he had access to your computer, he could have looked in your web browsing history, if you had been to ebay and not signed out or craigslist (I believe to post on craigslist you need a username?) or any other site email etc... he could have gotten that information. He also could have learned the password to your wireless router if you have one and the computer was connected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users