Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Disappeared!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bgorrah

bgorrah

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Somehow my Download has disappered!  I have always gone to Start, Documents and then Download but it is now gone! Can someone help me. Thanks.,

c\

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2014 - 01:29 PM.

Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Try searching the file by name from the Start menu

Find a file or folder
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Downloads was not in Start menu so I typed it in. Unzipped came up and I clicked on it.  Example came up and I clicked on it.  4 files from 1996 came up.  I clicked on the 1st one.  Windows can't open this file came up and said (.) Use the web service to find the correct program.  I clicked OK.  File Association came up.  At this point I just gave up because I don't understand what they are talking about.

Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Actually I meant to search for the name of the File downloaded and see where it was downloaded to..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Please clarify a few things by answering the following questions:

Did you download one file and now cannot find it?

Are you trying to get to your Downloads folder and not able to?

You state

I have always gone to Start, Documents and then Download

This is a bit confusing because it makes it sound like you have Download in your DOCUMENTS. Once you get to documents is there more to the process you do to get to Download folders, which is in Local Disk C/Users/Your User Name/Downloads.

Are you saying the DOWNLOADS folder is missing from that path?

#6 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

Yes, I am trying to get to my Download Folder but it is no longer there. I don't recall doing anything to change it. I have always gone to Start, Documents, Download.  Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Posted Image

#7 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

Actually I meant to search for the name of the File downloaded and see where it was downloaded to..

I'm sorry but I don't remember the name of the file I downloaded.

Posted Image

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

READ MY EDIT BELOW AND TRY THAT BEFORE YOU GO THROUGH THE TROUBLE OF SEARCHING FOR DOWNLOADS. WHAT IS SUGGESTED IN THE EDIT WILL BE QUICK EASY FIX IF IT WORKS. If it doesn't then you can search and add it back to the list Sometimes we so caught up in the "complicated" we fail to see the "easy" solutions.

You haven't been doing it wrong if the way you do it gets you to the Downloads folder.

My preferred method of accessing downloads is to put a shortcut to Downloads on my desktop. One click to open as opposed to several clicks to get to it using any other way.

Did you try this

Local Disk C/Users/Your User Name/Downloads

Try this method of searching for it

In Start Menu type your Windows account name downloads.

It will look like this (using my name) evie downloads

IF you see Downloads as a returned result, RIGHT click the word Downloads, then use either of these methods to find it on your computer:

1) choose Properties/Location tab which will tell you where the folder is located

OR

2) Open folder location. For me, it opens C/Users/my user name

Another option:

Since you don't remember the name of the file you downloaded, look through your Internet History. This might send you back to the page you downloaded it from.  Click Download. You won't have to download the file, all you want to do is look at the name of the file which you can use to search for it.  Type the file name into your search box.

If it's found you can use #2 above to get to it and see where it's located.

edit to add: I now see what you are talking about when you said you go to My Documents then Downloads.
I've never paid attention to the Favorites listings. Most of my attention when I open Explorer is usually on Library's.

documents.png

Try this to RESTORE the link to Downloads.

RIGHT click on the word Favorites.

Choose Restore favorite links. That should put it back. I tested this by removing Downloads from the list, then Restoring. It worked.
restore-links.png

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 January 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Try looking in C:\Users\USERNAME\Downloads where USERNAME is the name of your user account.  You might also try C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Mu download folder lost its self on my laptop, I did the simple thing!  I right clicked in the usual place the folder was added a new folder and named it downloads, it has worked just fine since then.  That may not turn up your down load but it will recieve them from then on!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Try looking in C:\Users\USERNAME\Downloads where USERNAME is the name of your user account.  You might also try C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents.

I did as you suggested but  all  I got was "No items match your search."

Posted Image

#12 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Mu download folder lost its self on my laptop, I did the simple thing!  I right clicked in the usual place the folder was added a new folder and named it downloads, it has worked just fine since then.  That may not turn up your down load but it will recieve them from then on!

Phil

I did as you suggested but all I got was "Show all folders and expand to current folder."

Posted Image

#13 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

READ MY EDIT BELOW AND TRY THAT BEFORE YOU GO THROUGH THE TROUBLE OF SEARCHING FOR DOWNLOADS. WHAT IS SUGGESTED IN THE EDIT WILL BE QUICK EASY FIX IF IT WORKS. If it doesn't then you can search and add it back to the list Sometimes we so caught up in the "complicated" we fail to see the "easy" solutions.

You haven't been doing it wrong if the way you do it gets you to the Downloads folder.

My preferred method of accessing downloads is to put a shortcut to Downloads on my desktop. One click to open as opposed to several clicks to get to it using any other way.

Did you try this

Local Disk C/Users/Your User Name/Downloads

Try this method of searching for it

In Start Menu type your Windows account name downloads.

It will look like this (using my name) evie downloads

IF you see Downloads as a returned result, RIGHT click the word Downloads, then use either of these methods to find it on your computer:

1) choose Properties/Location tab which will tell you where the folder is located

OR

2) Open folder location. For me, it opens C/Users/my user name

Another option:

Since you don't remember the name of the file you downloaded, look through your Internet History. This might send you back to the page you downloaded it from.  Click Download. You won't have to download the file, all you want to do is look at the name of the file which you can use to search for it.  Type the file name into your search box.

If it's found you can use #2 above to get to it and see where it's located.

edit to add: I now see what you are talking about when you said you go to My Documents then Downloads.
I've never paid attention to the Favorites listings. Most of my attention when I open Explorer is usually on Library's.

documents.png

Try this to RESTORE the link to Downloads.

RIGHT click on the word Favorites.

Choose Restore favorite links. That should put it back. I tested this by removing Downloads from the list, then Restoring. It worked.
restore-links.png

When I clicked on Start, Documents, and right clicked on Favorites and chose Restore Favorite Links "Documents Library came up showing I had 96 Documents in it. I then clicked on Downloads and a blank page came up saying "This folder is empty."
As an afterthought, when I downloaded 2 pictures this morning I was surprised to see that they now appeared on my Desktop.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 January 2014 - 10:55 AM.
edited to remove reply from the quoted text, in order to see reply quickly and easily

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users