Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD hard drive care & setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

I am new like many to SSD hard drive's, I found a very good link to setup and care for our SSD's.  I set my drives up last night, I did speed tests prior too and after with no real noticable change in performance but now have peace of mind I will get the most out of my investment. :thumbup2:

Phil

www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/3/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

A few things about ssd's: do not de-fragment, windows may assume that data is fragmented but windows actually has no idea where the data is being stored on the ssd because the ssd has an onboard controller that tries to write evenly to each cell to prevent one cell from failing before the rest. If you defragment you will potentially cause the drive to move and re-write to different cells. Cells last approximately 5000 writes in most drives. Using programs like fraps that write huge amounts of data will cause you to burn through your limited writes to each cell faster. (You can read the cells or access data without doing any damage to the cell so reads are infinite in theory). SSD's are great for programs and load times.

I have one in my media center pc (only 32gb) and it has been going strong for over 5 years even though I stream video on it which caches data to the drive (writes data to the drive). I have had a few bad sectors but was able to resolve the issue by using MHDD, when I had bad sectors I had random freezes for around 5-10 seconds. The drive is old and small so I cycle through cells relatively quickly writing data.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Please read the link in goes into far more depth with very good explanations, defrag is just one of several things that are addressed.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

I did not see there were multiple pages :) definitely a lot of good info thanks for the article.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users