Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot uninstall PCL6 driver for HP.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

I've been having this hell of a problem. A HP5200 laser printer will continue to print until there are no trees left, on its current PCL6 drivers. I have a different set of PS drivers I want to use. 

I have tried

* updating the driver

* uninstalling the printer

* uninstalling all the USB drivers that could associate

* removing the driver physically

* installing the new driver over the top

* using driver removal software

* physically removing all links to the driver in the registry

* combinations of the above in sequence

but when all is said and done and I plug the printer into the machine the PCL6 driver re-installs itself. So then I decided to remove the driver physically from the system driver store so it cannot possibly happen, but Windows says I need SYSTEM privilege to to this (good on ya MS), so that is a no go also.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'm fairly sure you can have more than one driver installed for the same printer at the same time.  Can you just set the one you want to use as the default printer and see if it uses the new driver.  Presumably installing the new driver creates a new printer with a slightly different name?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

I think you have already done the following. Printers in Control Panel select file, Server Properties, and under the driver tab, select the printer driver and remove. This will do a good job of removing any remaining entries.

I did find this. It relates to creating a temp System Account in XP. It might help.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

I'm fairly sure you can have more than one driver installed for the same printer at the same time.  Can you just set the one you want to use as the default printer and see if it uses the new driver.  Presumably installing the new driver creates a new printer with a slightly different name?

That's totally correct, you should be able to have more than one driver. But the installation never completes on the PS driver I'm trying to install, just detects the PCL6 and reverts to that.

I think you have already done the following. Printers in Control Panel select file, Server Properties, and under the driver tab, select the printer driver and remove. This will do a good job of removing any remaining entries.

I did find this. It relates to creating a temp System Account in XP. It might help.

Yeah, I did that. re-installs itself as soon as the printer is re-attached. The printer functioned fine whilst connected to a XP machine... I knew I should have installed PS rather than PCL6 when I did it.

I love the link for the temp system account. Shame it doesn't work on win 7...

It's a damnable thing, thinking of just chucking it out and buying a printer with ethernet connectivity. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

Just a thought and I am not sure if this would give you system privileges but what if you enabled the hidden Administrator account in Windows 7?

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

Will it let you install the PS driver (is that PostScript BTW?) without the printer connected?

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

yeah that's post script... it allows me to install it, then tells me to reconnect the printer to complete the installation. at which stage the pcl6 just takes over and installs itself.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

so, after 6 hours or so of messing around with this device it suddenly remembers when I install a driver.

thanks all for your suggestions.  :thumbup2:

edit: I installed it remotely via terminal... should have tried that much earlier.

Edited by TsVk!, 15 January 2014 - 09:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users