Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[sudo] trouble?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 altonius

altonius

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Hi guys,

I'm really new to this linux thing--yesterday--honest! Anyway, I replaced XP with Ubuntu 13.10 on an old Acer netbook. I set it up and got rid of things I won't ever use, and downloaded some stuff that I will. Nothing weird. I also switched browsers, Firefox to Chrome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:33 AM

OK, had a little problem there. So, when I try to run a command from the terminal, for example, Sudo shutdown -r > enter, I am asked for my password which I then try to input. The computer will not let me type. It's as if the keyboard is turned off. Any ideas what's going on? 

#3 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:15 AM

OP said, "I set it up and got rid of things I won't ever use"

What was deleted?  How was it removed?  It is common for new users to have to reinstall (I did so myself many times when new to Linux) because of an unwitting mistake in removing files.  Do not be afraid of it, just accept it as a rite of passage. 

If the PC is older than say five years, a 'buntu like xubuntu 12.04.2 may be more desirable than the latest ubuntu.

If a root password is desired, I would recommend first disconnecting any wired or wireless connection to the internet and then going to a teminal and typing in the command

sudo passwd root

and following instructions,

Welcome!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

There is no feedback when inputting passwords into a terminal.  No indication anything is being typed. But if you type your password and press enter it should accept it.

OK, had a little problem there. So, when I try to run a command from the terminal, for example, Sudo shutdown -r > enter, I am asked for my password which I then try to input. The computer will not let me type. It's as if the keyboard is turned off. Any ideas what's going on? 

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Thanks to 'pane-free' and 'jonuk76' for your help. The stuff I removed from 13.10 was nothing integral, just some of the apps. I did not really have a problem. Just complete ignorance and inexperience, not just with Ubuntu. My entire computer knowledge (?) has been gained only since last April, maybe 9 months. All of that was in Windows 8 and then updated to 8.1. I think I need to stop messing around in the bowels of the machine and start reading up on Linux! Thanks again guys.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

I found 13.10 to have a lot of problems, so I am running 12.04 lts, until Ubuntu fixes them.  Things like Wireless adapter drivers, Samba, and a few others.

#7 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,971 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

greg best to stick with 12.04 lts. for most users the lts versions are best. also would suggest updating to 14.04lts when it is released this year. the lts version are supported for 5 years.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#8 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,971 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

and you should be able to update directly to 14.04

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

and you should be able to update directly to 14.04

Rumor has it, that 14.04 lts is going to have the same issues as 13.10, with the Realtek Wireless chipset drivers.  Until they get the Realtek issue fixed, they are going to end up either having users tethered to a cord, or staying with Windows on their laptops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users