Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Dies Without A Warning

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wodfer

wodfer

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:53 AM

Hi,
I have a problem here with one of my WinXP SP2 computers. The machine suddenly freezes without a warning, no log - no nothing. I have to reset it manually to get it back working again.

I really have no idea what it is.

Is there something (program) I can do to get some sort of a log to know what's causing the problem?

I had a similare problem with another computer where the CPU fan didn't work, but everything seems fine here. The only thing I can see is that the +12v power sometimes goes up a little above +13v.

Cheers,
Andreas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:58 AM

Have you cleaned out the inside of your computer lately? Heat is a killer of computers. If the CPU fan gets clogged your motherboard may auto shut down to prevent damage to your CPU.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:48 AM

It seem to me like overheating problem.

Do you have any software that is able to check your current temperature of your CPU ?

If not, try using Motherboard Monitor to check your current temperature.

What's your current spec's of this PC ?

#4 wodfer

wodfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:59 AM

It is a hardware problem, pretty sure. I just ran Memtest-86 (booted from a CD) and it got to 95% without a single error when the machine suddenly froze. It had then been running for almost 6 hours.

I have software to monitor the tempareature, but it doesn't seem high at all to me (CPU from 30 to 45C and system around 30). I have even opened up the side cover and have a table fan blowing fresh air straight into it.

System is:

Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz
1Gb RAM (2x512)
MSI-865GM3-FIS mainboard
2 S-ata harddrives
1 IDE harddrive
DVD player
DVD burner
Pinnacle AV/DV card

Running WinXP Pro SP2.

Cheers,
Andreas

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:37 AM

It does sound HW or possibly driver related.
Next time it hangs on it own without it doing much of anything, check the applications tab in task manager just for the heck of it to see if anything is listed as "not responding".

Edited by HitSquad, 09 May 2006 - 10:39 AM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

The Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools may also shed some light on the problem.
Do you have any USB devices plugged in? Especially All-in-one printer/fax/copiers.

#7 wodfer

wodfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:27 AM

The machine also freezes when I boot on a DOS CD (memtest-86) so this is not Windows related obviously. The first thing I checked was the application event manager in WinXP. Nothing special there either.

No USB devices are connected at all.

I suspect:

- CPU
- Mainboard
- Power Supply

Andreas

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:07 AM

It could be a failing capacitor on the motherboard. Near the CPU there are several small cans like items about the size of pencil erasers. The tops should be flat and the sides smooth. If the are bloated that may be you problem also. If remeber correctly Advisor usasma knows about a utility that can test the capacitores on the motherboard. I seemed to have lost it. Contact him about it.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:20 AM

Hi Andreas!

I hope this is the link that Acklan was referring to:

http://badcaps.com/ident/

Did you check the System portion of Event Viewer for errors also?
Did you search your hard drive for any files ending in .dmp?
How 'bout any recently created .log, .bak, or .txt files (or any recently created files for that matter) - around the time of the last crash?

Otherwise you'll have to strip everything that you possibly can off of your system and then try the DOS/MemTest disk (PSU, mobo + cooler, 1 stick RAM, vidcard, keyboard, floppy drive). No mouse, no hard drive, no CD or DVD drives, no extra fans, no TV card, no nothing else!

This will limit the problems to the components that are attached (if you have more than 1 stick of RAM, you'll have to test with each one separately). Then borrow what you can to test the few components that are left - what you can't borrow, you'll have to buy - so try and make sure you can return it if you don't need it.

Swapping the RAM will also help to tell if one stick or the other is bad - then you can go from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users