Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oracle to issue huge security patch addressing 36 Java vulnerabilities

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Oracle to issue huge security patch addressing 36 Java vulnerabilities

Oracle will issue its first patch update of 2014 on Tuesday and it just so happens that it'll be one of its biggest ever that includes a slew of security patches, many of which address vulnerabilities in Java.

The Critical Patch Update will address 144 flaws in hundreds of Oracle products, 36 of which apply to vulnerabilities in Java SE, including 34 that are bugs that can be exploited remotely by an attacker without requiring authentication.

Article

Remove older versions

Get Update

Recommended Version 7 Update 51

If you use 32-bit and 64-bit browsers interchangeably, you will need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Java in order to have the Java plug-in for both browsers.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thank you boopme!

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

You're welcome DASOS !!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Ted Striker

Ted Striker

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

...36 of which apply to vulnerabilities in Java SE, including 34 that are bugs that can be exploited remotely by an attacker without requiring authentication.

Wow.  No wonder a lot of people don't install Java.

Edited by Ted Striker, 15 January 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#5 StanFF

StanFF

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

They are fixing some, others will pop-up as new.

Regards,

Stan

"There isn't a person anywhere who isn't capable of doing more than he thinks he can." - Henry Ford

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

I uninstalled my Java several months back and have not run into a single instance where I've needed it.

Talk about Unsafe Surfing...it simply seems like way too much of a risk.

I've recommended to several people I know to uninstall it and then see how long they go before they surf or run into an issue where they need it.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Already being pushed out.  I have seen a handful of company computers popping up a notice to update from Java 7 Update 45 to Java 7 Update 51.  We have to keep Java for company computers as some of our vendor portals still use that for table and webpage layout construction.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Then just keep it updated.

#9 HandSolo

HandSolo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

I go to one website that needs it for chat.  I don't need the chats. 

I keep Java installed as a browser add-on, but Firefox lets you deactivate add-ons.  Y' never know ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users