Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SubtleNerd

SubtleNerd

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Occasionally when I am on my laptop and I have Windows Explorer opened up everything seems to be working fine.  Then as soon as i click any certain icon like windows media player for instance, the cursor will

get stuck on its loading icon and I will end up having to bring up the task manager to end the task.  This also occurs when right-clicking files, applications. etc in windows explorer.  Also sometimes it freezes up when

I just click on windows explorer to open it up.  Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Are you referring to File Explorer (windows explorer app for win 8) or the desktop? Just want to clarify...

Sounds like a memory issue. Did you manually change the page file properties?

Have you done any virus scans?

How much memory do you have? Does the amount showed on the computer properties match the total RAM you have installed?

#3 SubtleNerd

SubtleNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

I am referring to to the file explorer, not the desktop.  I have not changed any page file properties.  I have not done a virus scan recently, but I will do one now.  I am not sure about the last question you are asking because I am somewhat still learning about computers, but it says I have a capacity of 418GB and 4GB of RAM. 

#4 SubtleNerd

SubtleNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Also, is there any anti virus program that you would recommend?

I have currently been using avast.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Windows 8 has Windows Defender built-in, which is essentially Microsoft Security Essentials repackaged. In case you didn't know.

Personally I use AVG free on my Win8 notebook. It's been rated roughly the same as AVAST in performance scores, but I find it has less bloatware and doesn't use as much system resources at AVAST.

I was referring to whether your computer (under Computer Properties) recognizes the same amount of RAM that you have physically installed in the computer. You could have 2 4GB sticks of RAM in your system but the computer is only recognizing one stick, ie, 4GB RAM instead of 8GB. ***But I don't believe this is the case here.

Try downloading and running Malwarebytes. It's a free malware scanner that will run with any antivirus. It's manual scan only, though:

www.malwarebytes.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users