Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Wordpad files.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MAGIC1234

MAGIC1234

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

A little while ago i opened up one of my wordpad documents that was 7 pages long and to my great surprise all the data i had previously saved in this document was not displayed! I swear i did not delete the 7 pages of data myself. Subsquently i opened up some of my other wordpad documents and found the data i had saved in these docs was no longer showing too!
Interestingly all of the affected docs were saved and open at times when my laptop battery went. Perhaps these docs were corrupted when the laptop battery ran out.  I dont have any docs that do not display all previously saved data that were not open at times when the laptop battery ran out!

The affected wordpad files were saved as RTF. I saved the files in calibri font but when i open them now the font is shown as courier new for some reason. All of the affected wordpad files do not display any of the previously saved data. I have opened the affected files and changed the fonts but still the data wont display. However when i go to this pc/documents and enter the name of one of the affected docs in the 'search documents' box the search result shows the first few lines of text in the file so i guess the data is there i just have to find a way of accessing it!

When i open the affected wordpad files with MS Word(unlicensed version) pages of squares come up.

When i open them with open office pages of #'s come up.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

Sorry for the delay. Only just saw your request.

Open your files with a free editor on a Linux live disk. Cut and paste to text file, save to usb, then import to your normal application. (try more than one)

If they won't open with Linux text editors, they are likely corrupted and irretrievable.

edit: though I do have a couple of ideas... which you probably won't need.

Edited by TsVk!, 30 January 2014 - 08:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users