Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battle.net Account

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Hi. I've seemingly had an email from Blizzard Entertainment about battle.net saying my account has been locked. However, I have no account. Never had anything to do with any of their games (not even trials).

The email appears to have only sent to me and my email is written in the actual email. Hotmail has put the little green shield icon next to the senders name and the email address looks legit (noreplyeu@blizzard.com). It went into my Inbox not my spam folder. I know email addresses can be made to look real when they're actually not but hotmail normally picks up on dodgy emails.

I'd like to contact Blizzard Entertainment but their site keeps sending me in circles (I didn't click any email links!). I managed to get the submit ticket option but that expects me to sign in or give log in information which I don't have. I can't seem to bring up the option to click live chat, it is greyed out and just says it's unavailable when I hover over the option and offline underneath it.

If the email is fake, I want to report it. If it's real I want to know what has happened considering I don't have an account.

Anyone know how I can contact them?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Best thing I can suggest is report it as a phishing attempt following these directions:

"Spoofed" Email Addresses

Even if you receive an email from an @blizzard.com or @battle.net address, it's still important to remain cautious, as it is possible to change how a sending address appears in the "From" field of an email. The process is known as "spoofing" and may cause a phishing email to initially look like it's been sent by Blizzard Entertainment. To determine the actual sending address of an email, you will need to check the email's header information.

Most online email clients and applications will allow you to view an email's header. Please see your email provider's documentation to determine how to view email headers. A legitimate email header from Blizzard Entertainment should look something like this:

X-SID-PRA noreply@blizzard.com
or
Return-Path: < noreply@blizzard.com >
Received: from smtp01.worldofwarcraft.com ([XX.XXX.XXX.XXX]) by…
Received: from … by smtp01.worldofwarcraft.com …
for ; Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:46:05 GMT
To: Your Email Address

Additional details regarding how to locate header information using some of the more common applications and web-based e-mail providers can also be found on Gmail's Message Headers page.
Report Phishing Emails

If you receive a phishing email, please forward the email to hacks@blizzard.com at your earliest convenience. When forwarding the email, copy and paste the entire email header into the message body to ensure that we are able to identify the source. This information will help us prevent future phishing emails of the same type.

Quote from: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/phishing

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Best thing I can suggest is report it as a phishing attempt following these directions:

"Spoofed" Email Addresses

Even if you receive an email from an @blizzard.com or @battle.net address, it's still important to remain cautious, as it is possible to change how a sending address appears in the "From" field of an email. The process is known as "spoofing" and may cause a phishing email to initially look like it's been sent by Blizzard Entertainment. To determine the actual sending address of an email, you will need to check the email's header information.

Most online email clients and applications will allow you to view an email's header. Please see your email provider's documentation to determine how to view email headers. A legitimate email header from Blizzard Entertainment should look something like this:

X-SID-PRA noreply@blizzard.com
or
Return-Path: < noreply@blizzard.com >
Received: from smtp01.worldofwarcraft.com ([XX.XXX.XXX.XXX]) by…
Received: from … by smtp01.worldofwarcraft.com …
for ; Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:46:05 GMT
To: Your Email Address

Additional details regarding how to locate header information using some of the more common applications and web-based e-mail providers can also be found on Gmail's Message Headers page.
Report Phishing Emails

If you receive a phishing email, please forward the email to hacks@blizzard.com at your earliest convenience. When forwarding the email, copy and paste the entire email header into the message body to ensure that we are able to identify the source. This information will help us prevent future phishing emails of the same type.

Quote from: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/phishing

Thanks. Going by that it still appears legit though. Differences are the address has eu in it but they have a eu site. The from address says wowadmin.net and ext-smtp12.eu.battle.net similar to how it shows there. The links all say the correct web addresses with no redirection from what I can tell. It doesn't tell me I must click the links, it's just advice with supporting links so nothing dodgy there either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users