Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SOME internet websites will not load, Cant find error.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 helpplease1234

helpplease1234

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Every time I try to access certain websites on either safari or google chrome I get an err_failed message or a POSIX message. It seems to be the websites where no cookies are being recieved or blocked but Im not sure. NETFLIX will often load as simple text and no images will load and adult websites and other websites including adult sites will not even attempt to load. I did have a trojan horse just after the incident but I believe it is removed as I have since downloaded many virus programs which have been uninstalled recently to avoid further problems with firewall etc. I've searched endlessly for the root of this problem but it just can't be found with my limited Mac knowledge. The home PC also has trouble accessing these websites but seems to run a little smoother and loads more websites than my mac. ANY help would be muchly appreciated as this problem has become more than annoying :( thanks! 

Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

1 - Run Disk Utility from the Utilities folder and "Repair Permissions."  Let it run.  It will take a while.  When it is done, quit the program.

2 - Reinstall an anti-virus program and run a scan.

3 - Open Safari and from the "Safari" menu, click on reset Safari.

4 - Go to System Preferences, click on "Security and Privacy."  Make sure your firewall is set to "ON."

#3 helpplease1234

helpplease1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:12 AM

Thanks mate, I tried this but it still does not solve my problem :( Any other suggestions???

#4 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

OK, here you go.

Go to the Titanium Free software page:  http://www.titanium.free.fr/

Download the version of Oynx for your operating system.  10.6 is Snow Leopard, 10.7 is Lion, 10.8 is Mountain Lion, 10.9 is Mavericks.  Not sure of your operating system?  Click on the Apple in the upper left corner of your screen and select "About this Mac."

Install Onyx.

1 - Run it and go through the first two scans.

2 - Run cleaning of the system, user, Internet, and fonts.  Follow directions.  You will be asked to reboot a few times and then run Onyx again.

3 - Run Onyx - Select "Maintenance."

4 - First click on "Rebuild" and then "execute."

5 - Next click on "Permissions" and "execute."  This will take a while.  Be patient.

6 - When it is done, click "Quit" and reboot your computer.

7 - Now shut down your computer.

8 - Holding down the shift key, hit the power button.

9 - The system will do a safe boot.  It takes a while.  Be  patient.

10 - Sign in to your account.

11 - Now shut down.

12 - Start the Mac once more.

13 - Hold down the option key and select "Go" from the top menu bar.  Select "Library."

14 - Double click on "Cache."

15 - From the edit menu, select "all."

16 - From the file menu, select, "Move to trash."

17 - Wait until the next time you restart the computer to empty the trash.

18 - Close all the windows.

19 - Open Safari, and go to "Safari" menu.

20 - Select "Safari" and then "Reset."

21 - Quit Safari and restart your computer.

22 - Empty the trash.

23 - Try Safari again.

24 - Run Onyx periodically.

25 - Run an anti-virus scan every day.

#5 tg45

tg45

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

If Onyx and safe boot did not solve your issue, I would recommend going to System preferences (one of the option after you hit the apple on the top left) click on the Network icon, At the top it should say Location and have a scroll box. In the scroll box it probably says automatic, choose the add new location option and create and new location and choose location instead of automatic.

I find that for some reason your network location sometimes becomes corrupted causing all sorts of issues with accessing websites, and making a new location fixes it.

#6 micahdear

micahdear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

@tgdetjen

I just want you to know that I created an account on this page for 1 reason!!! To thank you for that post.. Well written and easy to follow... It solved an issue I`ve been working on that would have potentially cost me about 400Gb of data... I thought I had tried everything and I thought I knew a lot, but wow!!!

Seriously if you sent me your home address I`d send you a case of beer!!! :)

Have a good weekend!

#7 happydaisy

happydaisy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

trevm999

Can't thank you enough! I spent hours and hours clearing caches, resetting DNS, etc. Your trick of changing location from "Automatic" to a new one and then reflushing DNS finally did the job!

#8 TvH

TvH

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:04 AM

Wow!!!! you guys have saved me from going completely insane!!! I'd checked domain settings, spoke to web host, flushed caches, DNS settings etc etc etc to no avail... nightmare phone call with telstra  :axe: who had no idea what I was talking about!!!!!! said they'd get back to me and never did!!!!!  Searched and found this forum, followed your instructions and as per happy daisy, changing my location from 'Automatic' to a 'new' one worked!!!!!   Thank you so much!!!!!  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users