Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shockwave Player/Page Scripts Crashing and More

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalDude22

DigitalDude22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

So here's the deal: I accidentally knocked my Dell Studio 1555 onto the floor sometime in mid-October. I thought the damage was only superficial, but ever since then I've been having the same problem over and over again. No matter what browser I use, be it Firefox, Chrome, or (shudder) Explorer, this issue pops up. Sometimes, the webpages load up fine, I can watch videos, play music and games, no problem. That said, regardless of what I am actually doing, eventually the Shockwave Player or some asinine script completely fails me, and I get the pop-up telling me that the plugin or script has crashed. This is preceded by the webpage and my entire computer freezing up or running more slowly than tar. I can still move the cursor, but it can't interact with anything. The computer stays like that for anywhere from half a minute to five, and then gives me the pop up telling me what went wrong. Regardless of what I click, the box will then disappear, the computer will stay frozen for another minute or so, and then try to resume whatever it was doing before. Normally, it's easier to just open up the Task Manager and abort the whole thing, but I'm getting really sick of this crap.

I don't know if it's related, but in addition to the problems I'm having with the browsers, every once in a while a notice will appear in the bottom right hand corner of my desktop stating that my copy of windows isn't valid and may be a counterfit...which is impossible, because this is the same operating system that was on the laptop when I bought it. Sometimes I'll even get a pop-up saying the same thing. It takes ages to boot the thing up, and even longer to get anything done on it. Furthermore, it doesn't seem to remember updates that have been downloaded to it. I'll power off the machine, it will tell me it's installing updates, and then when I power it back on, it has MORE updates that need to be downloaded. It's always three, and they don't seem to actually be saved to the computer. It's the same with Steam: When I power on, it starts downloading updates...every single time.

I thought the problems I was seeing might be being caused by malware on the computer, so I ran the scanner and came up with nothing more than a few trojans and some adware. Unsurprised, I updated the antivirus program, went into safemode without networking, and tried again. This time I did find something a lot more problematic, but removed it without trouble...or so I thought. When I ran the scanner again a week later, the malware was sitting there like it had never been removed. Eventually, I did manage to get rid of it (I haven't seen it come up in about a month), but I'm still having all the same issues with my machine.

I have uninstalled and downloaded Shockwave and Flash Player so many times I could do it blindfolded, I even went so far as to follow these instructions, to the letter, three times. The problems are better, but not fixed. Shockwave, Flash, and random Scripts keep crashing, and I'm out of ideas on how to fix the problem.

Is it possible there's a hardware issue? Or have I missed something obvious? Help me out here guys, please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

I would suggest running the hdd manufacturer's diagnostic tool.  But first we will need the name of the manufacturer in order to provide you with the proper one.  The diagnostic tool can be burned to a disc to create a bootable diagnostic tool.

You can view a video showing how to access the hdd here.

Edited by dc3, 15 January 2014 - 01:08 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DigitalDude22

DigitalDude22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

Where would I find the manufacturer name? Same place was the rest of the machine's info?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

When you open the access panel on the bottom of the laptop the hdd should be visible, as I recall.  The information should be shown on the top surface of the hdd, as it is install in the laptop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 simpk5

simpk5

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

I was having problems with flash hanging and crashing. Did all the uninstalls/reloads etc..  While searching the web, someone suggested removing MS Silverlight.  Don't know why, but haven't had the issue with flash since I did that.  Might be worth a try.

#6 YusufAlizo

YusufAlizo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Shockwave is giving me the same issues. I would love to hear some feedback.

- Yusuf Alizo

#7 DigitalDude22

DigitalDude22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

I removed Silverlight and that didn't really help at all. The last time I tried to open this laptop up and get a peek at its insides, it didn't go well.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

What kind of problems did you have as a result of opening the case?

Did you watch the video I provided the link to?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users