Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Install Crash!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jeverall

jeverall

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

Hi :thumbsup:

I have my friends laptop on which Windows was totally screwed up (couldn't get into safe mode or anything).
so I formatted the harddrive, and started re-installing Windows Xp (as I have done a few times before), but everytime it gets to the stage where it starts installing windows, it gets to 34 Minutes , installing devices and hangs. The computer is an NEC Versa c140 Laptop, and I had to format and reinstall windows on it a couple of months ago, but then it worked fine.
At first guess I would say its hardware related, but I'm only guessing. Even if it is how could I go about fixing it on a laptop???
Desktops are much easier to deal with :flowers:

Any help is much appreciated!!

:trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:05 AM

Have you check the memory? Try Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic" or MicroSoft's Memory Test. If it is the memory you may be having the data corrupted at install. Also check the fan port to make sure it is not blocked.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:41 AM

Are you using the CD's that came with the computer - or are you using another disk that didn't come with the computer? Some OEM systems are "locked" to the hardware and won't install on other systems (such as Dell).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

I had this problem once because of a dirty CD. Check the CD for smudges or scratches or try another CD.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:25 PM

I did also. I used Mother'sŪ Compound to lightly buff the lighter scratches out. I made My LEGAL backup copy and keep both in a double CD jewel case. It's a one trick pony thought. If you over polish it you will damage the surface and it's lost forever.
The first one I tried it on was Windows '95b.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 jeverall

jeverall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

Hi thank you to everyone for all the info! I did try the memory test that you sugested Acklan and the tests said that there wasn't anything wrong with the memory!!
The disk that I am using Usasma is one brought from pc world that didn't come with the laptop, I don't think the laptop is locked because I have installed windows from that cd on it before and it worked ok! Thank you for the info though.
I have checked the cd Magic Mike and there are not scratches or smudges on it. Thank You.

Any other ideas on what might be wrong with it will be really appreciated guys... Thanks

#7 jeverall

jeverall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

Hi thank you to everyone for all the info! I did try the memory test that you sugested Acklan and the tests said that there wasn't anything wrong with the memory!!
The disk that I am using Usasma is one brought from pc world that didn't come with the laptop, I don't think the laptop is locked because I have installed windows from that cd on it before and it worked ok! Thank you for the info though.
I have checked the cd Magic Mike and there are not scratches or smudges on it. Thank You.

Any other ideas on what might be wrong with it will be really appreciated guys... Thanks

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

You have to wonder about why the computer was having issues in the first place, and is it related to the problems you are experiencing now?

Googling around I found THIS, THIS and THIS. Hopefully that will help!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users