Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot remove scorpionsaver by adpeak

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 jlpelham

jlpelham

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

I have tried running many malware removal tools, and I have not been able to get rid of Scopionsaver and Savingsbull Services both by Adpeak.  I've tried running many of the programs recommended on your forum but to no avail.  My computer is DREADFULLY slow.  It says the programs were added on 12/2/2013, but the problems only occurred recently.  PLEASE HELP!

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2014 - 02:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

BC has instruction for removing Scorpionsaver here: Scorpion Saver Removal Guide

Others report having success after using the instructions in the Removal Guide and following up with

this: Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs easily, Forced Uninstall, Leftovers Uninstaller

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

This is third party software.   Third party software bundled in downloads has become a common practice, to the extent that I add the following information with any suggested download except for those here at Bleeping Computer.  If you do the Epress (recommended) installation the third party software will automatically be installed.  If you choose to use the Custom Installation (advanced) each of the third party software will usually appear one at a time with a check mark already added to install the software, you must remove the check mark if you do not want this software installed.

bundled_zps943899be.png

I would suggest running ADWCleaner and JRT (Junk Removal Tool).

Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

When cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your next post.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool.

Open your browser and go to Downloads, then click on the Junkware Removal Tool to install it.  

Click on Run to initiate the installation.

To avoid potential conflicts, temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall.  You will want to be offline when you do this.

Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.

The tool will open and start scanning your system.

Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.  Copy and this and then post this in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Another option if you haven't already tried it:  http://malwaretips.com/blogs/scorpion-saver-removal/

#5 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

Thanks buddy215, dc3 & Miss Lizz.  Wow you guys are fast.  I've tried a bunch of the tips that dc3 has posted.  I tried ADWCleaner recently and I think one other program after that.  But the computer is as slow as ever.  It's torture.  Should I post my log for ADWCleaner or should I run it again.  Also, since my computer is SO SLOW, I've been running things in safe mode with NO networking.  I use another laptop to download the programs to a USB memory stick and copy it onto my sick laptop that way.  It runs MUCH faster in safemode with no networking.  Let me know before I get started.  THANKS!!!

#6 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

Miss Lizz, malwaretips is where I found a lot of the tools I tried but none have helped yet.  That thread was for a particular member's problem and the one helping fix the problem was reviewing his logs each time.  I suspect my problem is similar but not necessarily exactly the same.  That thread also said NOT to fix anything, just to post the logs and wait for the next step.  This is a nasty problem, but I hate the idea of having to reinstall all of my software.

#7 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

I can only wish you luck.  It seems there's always one more problem than there is a solution.  Still, we keep trying.  And hoping.  I'm sure there' will be other suggestions and one will be THE one.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Should I post my log for ADWCleaner or should I run it again. <= Yes, if you like.

I have found that running this program first can help
http://support.microsoft.com/Mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/

NOW -

Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.

There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.

rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

* Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
* A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
* If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
* Do not reboot until instructed.
* If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

If normal mode still doesn't work, run the tool from safe mode.
When the scan is done Notepad will open with rKill log.
Post it in your next reply.

NOTE. rKill.txt log will also be present on your desktop.

Next -

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free (aka MBAM)
* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.
Be sure to reboot the computer if required after you post the log.
The latest version of the program now scans archive files which were previously not scanned.
This can greatly increase the time required to complete a full scan.

Follow with -

Please download HitmanPro. to your desktop.

* HitmanPro (32bit)
* HitmanPro (64bit)
* Launch the program by double clicking on HitmanPro.exe.
* Windows Vista/7 users right click on the HitmanPro icon and select run as administrator.
* Click on the next button. You must agree with the terms of EULA.
* Check the box beside "No, I only want to perform a one-time scan to check this computer".
* Click on the next button.
* The program will start to scan the computer.

* The scan will typically take no more than to 4 minutes.
* Click on the next button and choose the option activate free license
* Click on the next button and the infections where will be deleted.
* Click now on the Save Log option and save this log to your desktop.
* Click on the next button and restart the computer.
* Copy the information of HitmanPro_2014 xxxx_1239.log in your next reply

Thanks -

#9 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

Thank you noknojon.  I am giving the Microsoft fix it a try.  It is super slow, I'm sure because of my sick computer.  I'm typing this from a healthy spare.  My laptop is a 32 bit computer and your link was for a 64 bit but it seems to be working, albeit slowly.  I will let you know if this works but I'm not that hopeful.  I will try the other steps next.  I may have to perform them in safe mode.  regular mode is painfully slow.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

If no infections are found and since the problem doesn't not persist in Safe Mode, I would suggest performing a Clean Boot to see if it can indicate a Service or a Startup item.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

msconfig2_zps2e854ee3.png

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

Cleanboot_zps3b042516.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  By disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

cleanboot16_zps67072642.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hello dc3 and thanks again for your efforts!  Much obliged to you all.  I did use the microsoft tool and it did succeed in removing Scorpionsaver and Smartsavingsbull from my computer but it did not improve at all.  I then decided to try running ccleaner again and had it clean my registry.  There were a TON of things it removed, 172 or maybe 272 items.  That too, did not help at all.  This process is torture because it is SO SLOW in normal mode.  Its not blazing fast in safe mode, but much better.  I've checked my resources while running some of these programs and often it says the cpu is at 100%.  I know that is NEVER a good thing and a sign that something is running in the background and eating up and zapping my speed.  it is so bad that I literally could not log in to bleeping computer and I'm sending this from a spare old laptop.  Question is should I run the rkill.exe tool first before trying the msconfig idea?  That rkill.exe seems to have helped another person with the same problem as mine.  I also haven't run the junkware removal tool yet.  What do you think?  Should I run rkill.exe first or after junkware removal tool or go to msconfig option?

Thanks!

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

Registry Cleaners  

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

#13 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

Here is  from Rkill. Computer still crawling.  I'm going to run junkware removal tool and then post that.  Then I will try malware bytes and then Microsoft security essentials.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

Rkill 2.6.5 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Copyright 2008-2014 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 01/15/2014 11:59:51 PM in x86 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* No issues found.

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* Security Center (wscsvc) is not Running.
   Startup Type set to: Automatic (Delayed Start)

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Please follow Post #10 from dc3

Thank you -

#15 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Holy cow! For the first time I can recall in years, with the help of you experts and this excellent forum, WE (collectively) BEAT the nasty damn weirdos who perpetrate these viruses and malware on people like me.  It feels so good to have won the good fight for a change.  What a time consuming process, but in the end it was gratifying.  My computer seems to be like new.  It's as fast as when it was freshly loaded with Windows 7.  I wish I could pinpoint exactly what worked, but I think it was the combination of all the tools I ran including Adwcleaner, CCleaner, Zoek, RKill and junkware removal that finally worked.  I will say though that the only program that could remove/uninstall Scorpionsaver and SavingsBull Services (both by AdPeak) was http://support.microsoft.com/Mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/ .  Thanks so much to noknojon, downunder, for that super helpful suggestion.  It took forever to run it and I had to do it individually for each program, but it worked!  I never did have to mess with MSCONFIG and perform that process of elimination procedure, thank goodness.  I did clean my registry of all the suggested unnecessary items in my registry and start-up found by CCleaner, but I WAS smart enough to make a back-up registry first, which fortunately I did not have to use because it worked without a hiccup.

Thanks again ALL!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users