Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AIO parts replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

On an AIO computer, can the computer owner replace parts or will it be necessary to bring the AIO computer to a tech shop? Right now I'm wondering about such items as memory, hard drive, optical drive, power supply, fans which are typically easy enough to do on a tower.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Without knowing which AIO you're talking about this is purely speculation.  I would say RAM shouldn't be an issue, this is usually considered to be a user replaceable part.  Everything else should be able to be done by someone who is familiar with computer repair.  The hardest part will be getting into the case.  So, depending on your skill level will depend on if you can do it yourself or if you should take it into the shop.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Just as an example, in the user manual for the Dell XPS 2710 there are 64 sets of instructions for removing or replacing parts.  

RKilroy posted that this is usually considered to be a user replaceable part, this is true as far as that goes.  But with the AIO you have to remove the back cover, then the system board shield to access the RAM.

If you own a AIO or are considering purchasing one Google for the user manual  and check out the specific instructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for your answers. The reason I'm asking is because many of the volunteers I volunteer with are asking me that and I thought of considering one myself. I just got off-line from checking some AIO's. I think I'll stay with a standard desktop. As for my volunteer friends I'll tell them to ask the sales person when they shop around. Although I don't consider myself a hardware person, I prefer to replace parts myself when I can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users