Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

End of XP - is Linux a way to save the hardware?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

I have an Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop running XP. 1 GB RAM and a 1.86 Ghz Pentium M processor.

I am going to upgrade my machine (It makes sense as it is struggling a but running Music Production software and the battery is wearing out).

But I wondered if it would be possible to install Linux on the Laptop and use it for the internet and as a backup? Seems a waste to ditch the hardware just because Windows has moved on.

:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

If it runs on electricity, chances are that you can install Linux on it.  :grinner:

But as a more serious answer, yes, you will be able to easily install Linux on it and use it as you're describing. Linux is very hardware efficient and can run on very limited resources.

#3 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

thanks cryoganix,

thats really good news :)

I am not at all familiar with Linux though.......

I understand there are many different 'versions'? Which would you recommend for the novice? (I have heard of Ubuntu and that seems to be one of the less complex). Will i need to collect all the Linux hardware Drivers before the install?

:)

#4 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Yes, and those versions are called "distributions" of Linux, although some call them "flavors" of Linux. Personally, I'd recommend either Ubuntu or Linux Mint for someone new to Linux. Just look at the offerings and look/feel of both and see which one you'd prefer to use (I direct most people to Ubuntu). As for the drivers, most of the drivers you'd need to have your computer work as expected come right out of the box, although additional drivers (such as Intel WLAN drivers) may be necessary.  :thumbup2:

#5 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:27 AM

With only one gig RAM and the old Pentium M CPU, I would recommend a lighter version geared toward old PCs, like xubuntu-12.04.3-alternate-i386

I believe less problems will arise for you if xubuntu or lubuntu 12.04 were used.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:22 AM

You can try out most Linux distros before installing.....Live CD, DVD or Flash Drive.  Using as live will tell you if there is a compatibility 

problem with your hardware or you...:)

Ubuntu's next long term supported release...5 year support...is in April. The same month... I think... that Microsoft ends support for XP.

Usually the lighter versions of Ubuntu are released around the same time.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

Thanks,

cryoganix, pane-free and buddy215. thats given me some really useful insight and info :)

I will try one of the distributions 'live' first and see how that goes.

I was just wondering what is actually 'light' about the 'lighter' versions? Do they have less features than say Ubuntu?

......expect a few posts in a month or two as I am sure to get in a pickle ;)

#8 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I recently installed Puppy Linux (Wary Puppy) on 3 very old laptops I have at home.   It runs quick on my old hardware and is very easy to install and use ;) . 

Using Linux is definitely a great way to breath new life into older computers.

Edited by daveydoom, 15 January 2014 - 11:34 AM.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#9 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

. . .I was just wondering what is actually 'light' about the 'lighter' versions? Do they have less features than say Ubuntu?

......expect a few posts in a month or two as I am sure to get in a pickle ;)

If one calls eye candy a feature, then yes.  If one looks more towards functionality and performance, then no.  Desktop Environments like KDE tie up a lot of the CPU's resources (to say the least).  Xubuntu uses XFCE while lubuntu uses LXDE, both of which are less resource-hungry than KDE and many other DEs.  A Windows Manager or WM can be part of a DE or can stand alone.  WMs are much less demanding on computer resources than DEs, generally speaking.  Hence, "lighter."

A good one for performance is antiX.  If more "features" are desired, the new Linux Lite 1.0.8 is impressive, especially regarding beginners and gamers, and uses XFCE.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#10 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

pane-free, cheers for the info...... I think I follow :unsure: ........ :)

#11 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

I recently installed Puppy Linux (Wary Puppy) on 3 very old laptops I have at home.   It runs quick on my old hardware and is very easy to install and use ;) . 

Using Linux is definitely a great way to breath new life into older computers.

Hi, daveydoom. Just wondering how you find Puppy? This distro keeps pooping up in my searches. how straightforward is it to install and use?

my plan now is to instal a light Linux distro and dual boot with the existing XP on my machine. and isolate XP totally from the internet....... not exactly sure how I am going to do this (research in progress). :)

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Linux Lite, in my opinion, is the better choice for your computer and you. As one of pane-free's suggested distro.... Linux Lite

Having a Linux distro installed on the same hdd in a dual boot configuration with Windows in no way would allow a Windows OS

to connect to the internet unless you booted into Windows instead of booting into Linux.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

I like Puppy.   I have it installed on three older laptops which I just use for surfing the net..   It installed quickly with no trouble on any of the 3 laptops and runs much faster than XP did.

EDIT: I've been reading a bit about Linux Lite and I may give it a shot sometime as well :)  . 

Edited by daveydoom, 26 January 2014 - 01:44 PM.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

daveydoom....last September I successfully installed Slacko Puppy on a 13-14 year old compaQ computer....Deskpro ~ PII 450 MHz, 500 MB memory, 10 GB HD, USB

Really, just to see if it could be done. I was surprised how well it went and the quality of graphics on a LCD monitor. It takes up very little

room now in a closet. :)

#15 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

....Finally tried the Linux Lite (live) distro . Worked fine :) Connected to the internet and the laptop functioned OK.

I will definately instal Linux lite on the old XP laptop when I get a new replacement. Should I get some from of anti virus or firewall? I have read that Linux is free from viruses? I don't really understand how that would work - anyone able to explain?

Cheers again for all the help and advice :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users