Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory usage constantly increasing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 john125bradshaw

john125bradshaw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

I have got a windows 7 home basic 64bits laptop with 4gb ram. At windows startup my ram usage is around 30%..and it remains so even if my laptop remains idle for an hour or so...but as soon as i open windows explorer or my computer,my ram usage starts increasing and even after closing windows explorer it goes on increasing till 85 to 90%.....but if after startup i run my antivirus scan or open my web browser it increases to around 40% and goes down on closing these..and starts shoot up again on opening windows explore...well i did run kaspersky pure 3.0,malwarebyteand housecall scan but to no result....i really need a solution to this as all i can do is run any application that does not require opening of windows explorer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

This could be a memory leak.  

Use the Task Manager to see what programs are using your hdd.

1)  Right click on the Taskbar to open the Task Manager.

2)  Click on the Performance tab.

3)  Click on the Resource Monitor button, then click on the Disk tab.

4)  When the Process with Disk Activity opens you will be able to see which programs are accessing your hdd.  Watch to see if there is a process whose usage increases.  If you find one, post it back here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MisterWeather

MisterWeather

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Greetings John125bradshaw

I may have an answer. I don't know if this answer will apply, but I've seen other threads on-line similar to this one. My problems with loss of memory started after I turned 50. Oh wait, wrong issue - seriously now: my PC memory leaks started when IE10 was automatically installed; I went back to IE9 and the issue disappeared. Then IE11 was installed and the memory eating dllhost com surrogate reappeared. Using Process Explorer I'd see DLLHost launch a COM Surrogate process which would last a few seconds; close with another launch right away. This kept happening until the system ran out of RAM; I'd reboot and after 2 or 3 days the problem would begin again.

I'd suggest looking into using Process Explorer vice the native Windows Task Manager. Far greater detail and insight as to what processes are launching and what is eating your memory. IF it turns out your issue is tied to the dllhost.exe Com surrogate bug (that is well known now) I have a solution. It's worked on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/why-does-dllhostexe-com-surrogate-consumes-memory/bd7e42bb-802d-4eb9-95b2-2bb6b566996d

I looked around many boards and searched, never finding a satisfactory resolution. At the end of the day - for me - the issue was IE10 and IE11 does not play well with add-ons. I reset IE11 to it's base state, rebooted the computer and 10 days later no errant dllhost COM Surrogates eating memory.

Good luck.

MisterWeather

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

@ MisterWeather

Process Explorer is a good tool, I've suggested the use of it in the past.  But using the Resource Monitor in the Task Manager is already there and will reveal a memory leak just effectively.  The process explorer is much more diversified which could make it confusing if detailed instructions are not included for what they need to look for.  In the resource monitor it is very easy to notice a process whose resource usage continues to grow rather than fluctuate.

As similar as this may seem to problems you have experienced the odds of this being the same issue are very high. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users