Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lindows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 electrick2k

electrick2k

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 21 November 2004 - 12:29 PM

Hello there, :thumbsup: I tried a search, but is "Lindows" a Linux based windows operating system and can I get rid of it on a new cpu and replace with my old xp?

karen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2004 - 12:59 PM

Lindows has become Linspire
and OMG why would you remove Linux to go back to Windows????
Take some time to get familiar with it. The payoff is well worth the learning involved.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 electrick2k

electrick2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2004 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for your input, I think as far as os is concerned Linux is superior. This is for someone elses computer, they want to purchase the 179.99 cpu from Fry's and have me put thier old hard drive and files to it. Maybe I'll copy this version of Lindows for myself before I make the switch.. Thanks again!

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:17 PM

That is certainly a common reason. Don't get me wrong, I am not familiar with Linux in any fashion. I was referring to the reason to get a less expensive computer. You may run into a problem or two when doing this though...

Windows (any version) likes to have Windows compatible hardware. You may have to do some research on if every piece is compatible: the HD, motherboard, on-board sound and video, even the modem, just to name a few of them. If anything is not compatible, you will have to replace it. You will need some serious work-arounds if the motherboard, or on-board sound or video does not work with Windows, if it is even possible.

The current HD is designed to work in the computer that it is in. Just as drivers are installed on it, so are back up files from the computer manufacturer to restore it back to factory settings. If for some reason it crashes, and to have to restore it and you have it in a different machine, you could have some serious problems. In that case, I would consider using the current HD only for the system files and a secondary one, such as external, for other files.

IMHO, if I had that computer, I would learn all that you can about it, and use it as it is. You are considering placing their old HD in their new computer. You will likely have a few issues using this method. Their current HD has drivers for the hardware that is with it. When you plug that HD into another computer and turn it on, you will get some very unexpected results. You will basically have to re-install all of the drivers all over again, as noticed from my first statement.

I do commend you being curious on if it will work. I am sorry to say, that I do not really have a straight forward answer. If you do it and you have some problems, please feel free to ask questions here. We will all be more then happy to help out. Just as my signature says ...

Edited by JEservices, 21 November 2004 - 02:18 PM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 electrick2k

electrick2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:40 PM

Thank you, I'll let you know!

Karen

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 01:14 PM

Windows (any version) likes to have Windows compatible hardware. You may have to do some research on if every piece is compatible: the HD, motherboard, on-board sound and video, even the modem, just to name a few of them. If anything is not compatible, you will have to replace it. You will need some serious work-arounds if the motherboard, or on-board sound or video does not work with Windows, if it is even possible.

While this is true, if Linux is running then odds are ALL the hardware is Windows compatible.
I have done more then my share of converting the Fry's special to Windows for my clients.Just hang on to that MOBO driver disk.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users