Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network folder problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

I have a very basic home network, which I use to connect my desktop with my laptop, via my router. I run Windows 7 64 home premium, and I set up the network using the Windows homegroup wizard. Under "Network" I can see my Laptop and my Desktop. Under "Desktop" there are two folders - \\Desktop\Users and \\Desktop\Video. I can access the Users folder without any problems, but whenever I try to open \\Desktop\Video I get the message "Windows cannot access [file path]. You do not have permission to access [file path]. Contact your network administrator to request access." I can't work this out, because I am the administrator and I have tried it both in the Administrator account, and also in my user account, which has full administrator privileges.  If I go into the security settings for the folder I get the message "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings."

Can anyone help me understand what is going on here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

What firewall or Internet security software are you using on both computers?

#3 skypilotpete

skypilotpete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

Desktop: Online Armor Pro, Malwarebytes Pro (resident), Microsoft Security Essentials, Hitman Pro (paid version), Sandboxie (Windows 7 64 Home Premium)

Laptop: Windows Firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows XP, SP3)

As you can see, I have minimum security software on my laptop. This is because I absolutely don't use it for anything with any degree of risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users