Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"This copy of windows 7 is not genuine"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nnn23

nnn23

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

Hi,

About 2 weeks ago I had an issue turning on my computer. I would get a blinking LED light after attempting to turn it on. I took it to a computer repair shop, guys said it was a motherboard issue, and said they could fix the issue. After fixing it, it worked fine for a few hours, but now my desktop background is black, and I get a message saying 

"windows 7, build 7601, this copy of windows is not genuine"

Anyone have an idea what may have happened? I'm assuming it's not a computer virus? Not the most computer savvy guy here.

Thanks!

-nnn123

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Location:Milky Way Galaxy: Planet Earth: North America:South Dakota
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

Go to other ways to Authenticate and call the toll free. Microsoft will hook you up with the code.

#3 nnn23

nnn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean "other ways to authenticate?"

-nnn123

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

You can validate via either Internet or telephone...the telephone is the atlernate method referenced when you cannot do so via the Internet.

Louis

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,465 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

You should check the paperwork what was done to the laptop. It sounds like the motherboard had been replaced. Any major hardware being replaced will cause Windows 7 to do that. They should of known this would happen on an OEM system. It means that originally your system was installed with a OEM copy of Windows 7 which is used only once on a system build. They should have let you know this in advance. Most system's today are all OEM.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are cheaper copies of the OS that has no support etc and are used in single system builds. They typically run up towards $100 or so dollars for a OEM disc. It's a way to save some money building a new computer system keeping costs down. If hardware changes such as ram, hard drive, motherboard etc you can get a message like that as the system has changed and the OEM is not valid anymore. Microsoft takes a snapshot of the system. Many computer shops during the build process will use a beta free copy of windows to get the system built and running properly before installing the customers final OEM disc. You wouldn't want to install a OEM on a newly fresh built system incase something happens and the hardware is faulty and needs to be changed again during the build process.

There are also Retail copies of Windows 7 that can run up to $300+ dollars. Retail copies can be reinstalled over and over to any system, but not installed at the same time to multiple systems. If multiple system with the same key is used then the key will be revoked. Then there is the Enterprise Editions that can be installed on multiple computers at the same time because they came with licensing that is included with the disc.

Sorry for the long explanation, but you need to know what is happening here. On the bottom of the computer will be a Microsoft sticker with a product key code you need to write this down. Then call the Microsoft number it is a automated process to reactivate if that fails you can stay on the phone and talk to a rep. They may reactivate it for you for free. However, they may say sorry we can't do that and in worse case you need to buy a new OEM copy of Windows 7 Home, Pro, Ultimate which ever yours is. There should also be a #800 number on the sticker.

Some info on how to activate from within windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929 or you could jump to the process of selecting country etc in that tutorial... by going to start and typing in slui 4 hit enter. By doing this it will generate a code and you can use that on the telephone system to activate. Good luck.

Edited by technonymous, 14 January 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

Telephone activation is pretty painless.   There have been occurrences, that the Microsoft authentication server has told copies, that they were not valid, even though they were, due to error on their end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users