Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two questions about Android button backlight(s)...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BigTarantula99

BigTarantula99

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

I'm talking about the backlight LED things that light up the home/back/(menu?) buttons under the screen on most Android devices.  First off, what is the official name for the buttons?  It's hard for me to search Google to see if this has already been answered when I don't know what they're called...

My other question is:  Is there a way to control when the LEDs are on?  My phone only illuminates them in low-light conditions, but I want them to stay on when the phone is being used and off if the phone is in sleep.  Is there a way to customize when they stay on or an app that allows said customization?  (BTW, I'm running 4.1 and I don't want to root my phone.)

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

The 'buttons' are called softkeys. Can you modify them, without rooting? I don't know at this time. But I did a Google search using "android softkeys" without quotes of course. And a lot of articles came up about modifying. Most contained the word Root of course.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 BigTarantula99

BigTarantula99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

Well, I searched Google with the official name and eventually found an app that I do believe I was looking for.  It's called "Soft Buttons Light" and so far the backlight LEDs have stayed on no matter how bright it was.  Thanks!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users