Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP 1 or SP 2 in Vista Home basic??? Sooo confused!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Waynesgurl2

Waynesgurl2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

Hello!

This is my very 1st post and I did scan through several pages to perhaps locate another post relating to my current issue. But I didn't come acrossed anything after searching several pages so I decided to make a new post. If by chance there was one and I am repeating, I am so sorry. This is my story....

I am using a Dell Vostro 1000 with Windows Vista Home Basic that was given to me. My previous laptop had Windows XP so Vista is something I am learning to navigate. I have been noticing for the past week, the windows update seems to be constantl doing the same update for Service Pack 2. When completed, the screen pops up and says all updates were successful. However, when I go into system and maintenance and look at the updates there...I cannot find anything for service pack 2. I had been trying to install a printer on this laptop to no avail. I learned it prefers....service pack 2. I checked via computer properties and it says..I am running Windows Home Basic, 32 bit, service pack 1. Hmm...easy fix I figured...just go in and install service pack 2.

I have downloaded and ran the standalone installer for service pack 2 in regular mode and in safe mode, numerous times unsuccessfully. I receive a message at the very end of it all that says...I must download and install service pack 1...first. But, according to computer information, I have service pack 1 already on here. I am so confused!

I don't know if I should just install service pack 1 again, then go in and install service pack 2 afterwards or if that would possibly cause big time trouble? I just don't know what else to try. I did try to do a chat with microsoft but after waiting for someone to come on line for over 40 min, the screen told me to call their help desk number. So, that didn't work out so well for me.

Any help and guidance would be so greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of Vista updates... I spent 6 months in purgatory with it before ascending and installing XP on my machine. here's an interesting read on the subject, Although the support frame for XP is short now, you may consider Win 7 if your machine can handle it... or even better Linux. There are some nice easy to use versions out there these days. Free too.

Sadly I cannot give you any help to fix the issue at hand, only the greater problem.

#3 L1NGUS

L1NGUS

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Hi Waynesgurl.

After an exhaustive web search I found many others in your same situation but no obvious resolution.

I did locate this earlier Bleeeping Computer thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/488928/vista-will-not-install-sp2-and-updates-not-working/ although I'm not sure of the outcome.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

It's Vista update hell... aaaaaarrrrgh! With TrustedInstaller.exe playing the role of Satan.

let us know if the fix in that linked thread works for you, please.

#5 Waynesgurl2

Waynesgurl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

TsVk!...Man..your not a kidding! And for both you and to L1NGUS, I just ran the Microsoft Fixit tool that was in the very beginning of the list of "to-do's" in the thread L1NGUS posted. Very weird that little thing is! It found a few menial things and then found an error in the windows update...saif it was not able to fix it. No reason given either except to go to Microsoft support for further instructions. I went there...and then thought..I am gonna re-run that little fix it tool. So I did and again it found that windows update error...but this time, it said it fixed it. But, from reading through that thread and all the links etc provided, it appears I need to follow each step before I can try to place service pack 2 on here altogether...if at all. I also ran a nifty little program or whatever it is called to see if this system could handle Windows 7 and I dont have enough RAM it appears, I do however get notifications all the time about upgrading to Windows 9. Haven't read up much on the latter as far as pros and cons go for that though. If I hadn't been tired and apparently easily duped by some legal looking email I had received and clicked on it, I wouldn't be pestering you 2!..LOL Actually, it's not funny because I am usually smarter than that. My trusty other Dell laptop caught the Rovnex virus. And it was pretty much destoyed. So..here I am..using my deceased Fiance's laptop that was only used to scan thru guitar for sale on Ebay and through the Les Paul forums about guitars. Well..off to continue on here! I shall keep you both posted! And thanks so much for your help thus far. It is so greatly appreciated, it truly is.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Put XP on it... when you go on the internet just run it in Sandboxie. Will run faster too.

#7 Waynesgurl2

Waynesgurl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

Well...I did everything that was listed in the links in the other thread to no avail. when I tried to install SP 2 in clean boot, the same message came up telling me I had to install SP 1 first. I don't have an XP installation disk but if you wouldn't mind directing me to a reputable and reasonable site to buy what Ineed to do that I sure would try it. Sadly enough, I am kinda partial to XP because that is what I used for years. The laptop that headed south didn't have the installation disk when I bought it used from a friend of mine. She couldn't find it. I will also read up on Sandboxie too because I am not familar with that at all. I did find something though I forgot to mention. I was scanning around looking for solutions before coming here and I found this....http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/installing-windows-vista-service-pack-2-kb948465/cb17ca27-6c57-4686-91f4-be828c30364c   I really don't honestly know if this could be the easy fix all along. Any thoughts???

#8 L1NGUS

L1NGUS

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

Hi Waynesgurl.

The link you provided is but one of several that I also found: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/vista-service-pack-2-will-not-install/d4a60297-2c06-45ea-96d1-58eabaee7c82

This link has multiple suggestions from multiple individuals but, alas, no definite solution. 2009 was a busy year.

I do wish I could offer more help but I'm fresh out of miracles it would seem. I've been running Windows Vista since it came out and have never experienced your situation or anything like it. In fact, I kind of like Vista.

You mentioned that you had run "a nifty little program or whatever it is called to see if this system could handle Windows 7 and I dont have enough RAM."

I will assume that you are referring to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. If it were myself, I would get out the phone book and contact a local mom and pop computer shop in your area and look into having some more memory put into your machine. RAM is cheap. They could also help you find a legit copy of Windows XP SP3 or even Windows 7. And, while Windows Vista gets no respect, it wouldn't hurt to bring up your current SP1/SP2 situation while you had someone on the line.

Good luck.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:54 AM

Don't pay someone 50 bucks to put a RAM card in your machine... send it to me, and I'll tell you to put it (the new RAM card you bought, advised by the thread you haven't started yet) in the slot next to the other one and push either end till they click in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users