Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

more inportant motherboard,processor,ram or ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 epoweredrc

epoweredrc

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

I would like to know what makes the computer run fast. do all 3 need to be kinda close with each other to get 100% out of it or more of one or the other?

if i get it, ram makes it so you can run many tabs or programs at once. so if I have a 6Gb ram i should be able to have like 6 firefox tabs open, along with running my word program my xplit broadcaster and not have issues correct or am i wrong?

also the processor and if it is single dual, quad. what does this mean? you would think the larger be best but is this true?

I have now a pentuim 4 2.8ghz with 2.99 GB ram 40gb Sata HD it works okay for the basic internet but if i try to open multiple programs it lags bad. I am trying to run a broadcast and it just doesnt want to do it. been looking at PC's everywhere and i see lots of dual core but there like 1.4ghz or 1.8. I already have this 2.8 so wouldnt I be going backwards? or since it is a dual core it would be faster then my single.I have 2.99 gb ram most of them have 4gb or more.

if anyone can let me know if i am thinking right or not it be great.

someone pointed me to this site http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php and it seems pretty cool.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

The computers as fast as it's slowest component really.  I mean you could have a top notch new Core i7 (quad core) processor paired up with 1Gb ram and a 10 year old 60 Gb hard drive, and performance would be bad.  The processor would be wasted as it would be spending most of it's time swapping memory to disk, and waiting on the slow hard drive.  Likewise you could have 6Gb ram with your Pentium 4 processor but find that it still gets bogged down when trying to do several things at once, as it's pretty slow by current standards, and it only has one core.

Clock speed (ghz, mhz) is not really a reliable indicator of CPU speed.  Even more so when multiple cores are involved.  The Pentium 4's were notoriously inefficient, so much so that it's replacement (chips based on the Core architecture) have more in common with a Pentium 3 than a Pentium 4.  A 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 will be easily outperformed by a 1.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, for example.  Meanwhile something like a modern Core i3 @ 3.4Ghz could be as much as 15x faster than the 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 at some things. 

I'm not sure what systems you've been looking at but most desktops will run at a lot more than 1.4 ghz nowadays.  Or are you talking laptops?  A typical entry level desktop now would perhaps be based on a dual core AMD Athlon II or AMD A-series APU running at 3ghz+ or an Intel Pentium or Core i3 running at similar speeds.  With laptops there's more variation, because some are based on ultra low power processors which are designed to get best battery life rather than best performance.  Even some of those can perform better than the clock speed suggests due to "turbo" modes where it clocks up the processor speed only when required.

A dual core processor means that there are two CPU's on one chip.  A quad core means there are four CPU's on one chip.  When you run an operating system it's not just one program, there are many processes operating at the same time.  Having more than one CPU means that the computer can do more at once.  You might notice the difference immediately if you were trying to watch a movie and use the internet at the same time.  With one CPU you will probably notice the film skipping frames if you go on an internet site with lots of animations and stuff.  With multi core CPU's this is less likely to happen.

Edited by jonuk76, 13 January 2014 - 10:26 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for the reply that answered a few questions and kinda shows me I was thinking the right way, yes this Dell PC is a old GX280 its old someone somewhere else said it was great 10 yrs ago. I know they have some super computers these days but it seems some of them have crappy processors. that makes them bad, i am looking all over and lot of ebay.

I just found this one on officemax

DELL SFF GX520 P4-3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, DVDRW, W7HP.

Features

• DELL GX520 Small Farm Factor PC
  • Intel P4 CPU
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

sells pretty good. but i guess its still a single pro. but its 3.2 compared to my 2.8 so should be faster but maybe not a whole lot.

found this one seem to be lot better

Dell Model Inspiron 560 MPN I5602191NBK UPC 884116061588 Type All-in-One Desktop   Processor Processor Intel Pentium D (3.2 GHz)   Motherboard Bus Speed 1066 MHz Installed Cache Memory 2 MB   Display Screen Size 20"   Hard Drive Hard Drive Capacity 500 GB Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7200 RPM   Memory Memory Type DDR3-SDRAM Memory (RAM) 4 GB   CD / DVD Optical Drive Type DVD±R/±RW   Video Graphic Card Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD   Audio Audio Output Headphones, Sound Card   Networking Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet Networking Type Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card   Miscellaneous Computer Case Type All-in-One Connections HDMI x 1, RJ45 Lan Port x 1, USB 2.0 x 6

Could you just change out the processor and put in a dual one? or is the motherboard dependent on that. 

Someone tonight said, you could always buy a newer computer then upgrade it, but im on a very tight budget and only reason i want to get something new is so I can broadcast online show better this PC just wont do it well at all

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:30 AM

Myself I would try to find a computer with at least a Core 2 Duo processor, avoiding anything Pentium 4 or Pentium D based.

A quick look found this at $185 buy it now, for example -

DELL OPTIPLEX 760 Desktop / CORE 2 DUO 3GHz / 4GB / 500GB / DVD Burner / Upgraded Video Card  / Windows 7 Installed (Clean install with Restore Media) / Antivirus Installed  (Included in package: USB Wireless Adapter / Keyboard / Mouse / Power cable)  +  30 DAY WARRANTY /

>>FAST AND SECURE SHIPPING

Systems Details

Make: DELL
Model: Optiplex 760
Processor type: Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3GHz

Memory: 4GB 
Hard Disk Drive: 500GB
HD Type: SATA
Optical Media: DVD Burner
Video Card: Upgraded Video Card
Video port(s): DVI
Sound: Integrated HD audio
Chassis / Case: Desktop
Case Orientation: Dual Orientation
Other details:
  8 USB (2 Front)
  1 Serial
  1 Parallel
  On Board Sound Card
  On Board 10/100 / 1000 Gigabit Network Card
Operating system: Windows 7 Pro w/ COA
Antivirus: Installed and activated (online update enabled)
Restore Media: Included
Power: 110 – 240v, 305W

Also found this at $199 buy it now:

Dell OptiPlex 755 Tower Computer

Details:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    8MB L2 Cache
    1066MHz FSB
    64-bit Technology
  • Memory: 6GB PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz
  • Hard Drive: 500GB SATA
  • ATI Radeon HD 4550 256MB PCI-E Dual Video Card with VGA split Cable 
  • Built-in Audio
  • Media Drive: DVD +/- RW Drive
  • 8 x USB2.0 port (2 front-panel and 6 back-panel)
  • 1 x 9-pin Serial connector
  • 1 x 25-hole Parallel connector
  • 1 x VGA video connector
  • Fresh Windows 7 Pro 64bit w/ SP1 installed
  • Microsoft Security Essentials Anti-Virus
  • Windows XP COA
  •  
  • Condition:
  • Used
  •  
  • Warranty:
  • 30-day 100% money back warranty against DOA
  • It is the buyer's responsibility to ship the DOA item back to me at the buyer's expense.
  • Warranty refund will include original purchase price plus original shipping cost.
  •  
  • Shipping:
  • Usually ship the next business day after payment is received
  • Ship by UPS Ground
  • Local pick up is welcome and no charge

Neither come with screens, but I guess you have a screen you can use already?

Edited by jonuk76, 14 January 2014 - 08:33 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

What makes it run fast depends on what it is done.  To expound on jonuk76's comment your bottleneck may move depending on your use.  If you're using a large program that is data intensive will show RAM shortages as data that cannot be held in RAM is written to the page file on the hard drive.  Highly computational applications will rely on the processor.

The number of processors will give you better performance for multi-threaded applications or possibly running multiple programs.

The important thing to find out is how are you planning on using this machine?

I wouldn't recommend running Windows 7 with less than 4GB of RAM with 8GB being preferred.

#6 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

thanks for the info guys. I found this one but just not sure.

ake: DELL
Model: Optiplex 760
Processor type: Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3GHz

Memory: 4GB 
Hard Disk Drive: 500GB
HD Type: SATA
Optical Media: DVD Burner
Video Card: Upgraded Video Card
Video port(s): DVI
Sound: Integrated HD audio
Chassis / Case: Desktop
Case Orientation: Dual Orientation
Other details:
  8 USB (2 Front)
  1 Serial
  1 Parallel
  On Board Sound Card
  On Board 10/100 / 1000 Gigabit Network Card
Operating system: Windows 7 Pro w/ COA
Antivirus: Installed and activated (online update enabled)
Restore Media: Included
Power: 110 – 240v, 305W

sure it be faster then my current one but not sure.

And I thought I said, but i want to be able to broadcast online w/o issues. that's the most demanding thing i am doing right now

I do live shows with xsplit. video and audio. with pictures and stuff and this Pc just doesn't want to handle it

Edited by epoweredrc, 14 January 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#7 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

That is considerably quicker than what you have. What resolution do you broadcast at though? I don't think that machine is going to handle HD video, but basic SD content should work ok.

I don't see an actual budget, so I will refrain from making any recommendations. However, if you can find a way into it, an AMD Phenom based system, or a second generation i5 would probably suit you much better. Namely because video compression would be MUCH quicker on those systems. With them, live 720P would be quite doable, with 1080P possible.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#8 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

640x360 360p resolution Default (the highest option is 1280x720) This is Xplit 1.3v I am using

frame rate is set to 15.00 fps

transition speed is 300

I lowered my Video encoding max bit rate (kbps) to 300 (default was 1000) in VBR mode, you can change it to CBR mode but honestly no clue what that does.

Audio encoding is

Speex bitrate (kbps) 42.2 (this can be changed all way to 3.95 ) format is 16 khz mono (doesn't give any other option)

I am using the free version if you pay for it you can change the speex to AAC LQ or HQ not sure if this would make a huge different with anything or not.

right now, I can broadcast with scrolling banners on the screen and pictures and even my webcam but I just have bad lag on everything, the pc seems to run slow when Xplit is running, it takes forever to first load and My audio is not there hardly, sometimes people can hear me but they never know what I am saying cause its choppy.

We have a HP laptop with a AMD E-350 1.60 ghz 3.00GB ram  2.60gb usable  win 7 pro 64bit  and that is what we been using to broadcast cause it will run everything pretty decent, if i could get this one to work that well I would be happy. However on the laptop we cant open other windows while broadcasting cause it just to slow I am sure were MAXing out the laptop

Thanks again everyone for the help, advice. My budget is as cheap as I can get cause I'm broke, I broadcast a show cause me and my wife enjoy the show we do, its fun for us and our fans, but were just two people barley getting buy so this is pretty much our enjoyment, we don't go out to eat, to the movies, or anything else... This old computer has always done anything I needed it to so i never complained I even have a radio control Flight simulator that works fine on this system since I upgraded to 2 more GB ram

Honestly I have been watching ebay every single day, spending most of my time at the PC on there watch in looking for a about $100 PC that be better then  one I have. TOPS would be a $200 one. I know most of you will most likely say i can't get anything better for this amount of money but a Very very nice 3.4 ghz 1tb drive 6 gb ram went yesterday for $209 shipped, i missed out on it by like $2 at the very last sec someone else bidded.

I don't understand why there so many 1.4 ghz dual core PCs online for sale. they have use HD in most of them 500Gb on most and have 4-6gb of ram but would these be that much faster then my 2.8 ghz single core?

Edited by epoweredrc, 15 January 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#9 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

If I must say my opinion: Get a Gateway, I have one that has a 500GB hard drive with a AMD Phenom Quad Core processor and a a custom build Graphics Card (Can play Minecraft, Skyrim at like 1000-1200 frames per second) with 6GB of ram (that's the max in case but I have 16 externally) I got all of that for 250$ but that was in the Vista days unfortunately. So I recommend getting a gateway.   

Edited by AlexSmithFanning, 15 January 2014 - 07:12 PM.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#10 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

If I must say my opinion: Get a Gateway, I have one that has a 500GB hard drive with a AMD Phenom Quad Core processor and a a custom build Graphics Card (Can play Minecraft, Skyrim at like 1000-1200 frames per second) with 6GB of ram (that's the max in case but I have 16 externally) I got all of that for 250$ but that was in the Vista days unfortunately. So I recommend getting a gateway.   

WOW sounds like a serious machine. how do you have Ram externally?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users