Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing a 3g dongle with a PS3

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GregM85

GregM85

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

Ok so first of all I know this has been brought up before. In fact its how I found this awesome website :D

Heres a link to the original thread

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/450626/need-help-sharing-3g-dongle-internet-with-ps3/

So I am having issues connecting my PS3 to the internet. I am in a building that means I am unable to get a proper internet connection so the bane of my life is that I am on a three pay monthly contract. I have a Huawei E3526 USB dongle. I am using Windows 7.

So far I have tried changing what I assume is my internet connection to allow sharing. In Network connections it is listed as "Local Area Connection 2. Network Shared. Remote NDIS Internet Sharing Device."

My PS3 is connected to my computer via an ethernet cable. In Network Connections it appears to be listed as "Local Area Connection. Unidentified Network. Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller."

I have tried going to my PS3's internet settinsg and doing an easy connection, this results in a time out failure obtaining an IP address.

I have tried changing my settings as described in this post by sneakycyber from the link above

Set the IP address of the vista computer to static of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. In the start menu select run (or hold the windows key and press "R") and type ncpa.cpl. Select your wireless adapter and right click on it and Select Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol version 4 and click properties. Select the Use the following address bubble and enter 192.168.0.1 for your ip address, 255.255.255.0 for your subnet mask,192.168.0.1 for your Default Gateway. Select Use the Following DNS server address and enter 192.168.0.1 for the primary (secondary is optional but can be the same as primary) . Now you will need to assign a static IP address to the PS3. Follow this brief guide and use the ip 192.168.0.2 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.0.1 and primary DNS 192.168.0.1 (secondary is optional but can be the same as the primary)

This resulted in my PS3 finding the IP address. Which was great. But then it failed to connect with a DNS error (80710102).

As it turns out after changing my details to the above I could no longer load websites at all on my computer . Although when I go to the Network and Sharing Center my computer tells me I am still connected to the internet. So changing the addresses seems to stop my internet from working completely.

Simply changing the IP settings back to obtain automatically does not fix the issue either, I have to enter something manually and then validate problems on exit.

If I change only the DNS to the above I still lose the ability to load websites but then I can just use the obtain automatically option and I can load websites again. I doubt these last two sentences help much as thats probably normal, but I figured I'd put it here just in case.

After some playing around I found that if I change the IP addresses on my PS3 to the static one in Sneaky's post above but leave the ones for my modem as obtain automatically my PS3 will still succeed in finding an IP address but will again fail with the DNS error.

I tried using open DNS addresses (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as a secondary) on my PS3 and my internet settings and no joy there either.

I hope someone can help as I have been tearing my non existent hair out trying to get this to work. The above link got me close I think, I am assuming I just need a different DNS address on my internet settings and then use the same one on my PS3, but I have no clue what to change the DNS to without stopping my internet from working entirely.

I would really really appreciate any help

-Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

You would need a router that works with your Cellular Carrier, that you can use to share the connection.  Remember that you only have so much data, and that can be used up very quickly.

#3 GregM85

GregM85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

I am trying to use my computer to share the connection via an ethernet cable so that I don't need a router.

Its a USB modem and its designed to use DC-HSPDA (at least thats what the Three salesperson told me) so any router I used would have to be compatible with that. I dont know of any modems built for this purpose but would be interested if there is one for a reasonable price? I would assume it shouldnt matter which router I use as its only the incoming signal that the speed is dependant on but I've also read that the PS3 can struggle when given an AD-HOC using this kind of set up. To quote the linked thread

Ok honestly there's no need for the router at all disconnect it and use the setup I had listed previously. The router only makes it more difficult. It should work just fine without it.

I would of opted for the MiFI (Three's WiFi USB modems) from the start but they arent as fast due to not supporting DC-HSPDA and I would be stuck on an HSPA or even worse a 3G connection.

As for the data, I know, Ive been using these things for the last 6 or so years and have to rely on going to friends houses to download any big patches to the games I play. The actual playing them is fine and uses minimal bandwidth. Connection quality is fine too, I play a lot of online games and apart from occasional lag the connection is very stable. It isnt perfect for FPS as there is some latency but for the games I usually play which tend to be MMORPGs I have no problems.

Edited by GregM85, 13 January 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#4 GregM85

GregM85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

I read my post back and thought it sounded a little snarky. Sorry that wasnt my intent Im just trying to get the relevent information across and not waste anyones time. I do appreciate the reply and people trying to help :D

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

If you right click the Dongle connection in Network and Sharing center, click Properties, is there a share tab at the top? If yes click it and is there a check mark in the top box?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 GregM85

GregM85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

Yeah this was the first thing I did. I might not have been clear enough in my original post but this has been done :)

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

When you set the IP address like the post you quoted, you did that on the Realtek interface right? I would set the DNS to the OpenDNS addresses on both the Realtek interface and the PS3.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 GregM85

GregM85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

No originally I was trying it on the Dongle connection. :S (at this point I'm changing everything I've modified back to the default settings as I go along, so the dongle connection is back to obtain addresses automatically now)

I changed the addresses on the realtek this time, I tried with the settings in the post by sneaky, and with open DNS and neither worked.

I get the feeling that the cable I have isn't a cross over (I was under the impression it was) could this be the problem?

I have ordered one off of amazon just in case. It should be here within the next 48 hours so I can try again with these settings. If that doesnt work I may give up and order a mobile wireless router and hope that works.

I hate my crappy internet :(

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

I found this guide http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Internet-Connection-Sharing-Guide/td-p/13691503 and it seems you do need a cross over cable. And that would make sense on why it's not working. 

#10 GregM85

GregM85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

Crossover cable arrived, but the connection is problematic. It keeps cycling between "Identifying network - enabled - network cable unplugged" 

So, and we are stretching my understanding of these things now, but does this mean my connection is already a gigabit type, which from what I've read do not play nicely with crossover cables, or do I just have a faulty cable? 

One odd thing, when I plugged the crossover in between the PC and the PS3 my internet starting cutting out intermitently as well, it said I was connected in Network and Sharing but it wouldnt load up any pages.

I'll try updating the NIC drivers, (windows says its already up to date but what does Windows know half of the time anyway, it used to tell me my graphics card was up to date when I'd purposely installed an older driver to get a specific game to work :D )

Have to go to work now, I really hope I can get this to work by the end of the day :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users