Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AM3 or AM3+ upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doveman

doveman

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

My Dad's currently got a AM3 motherboard with an Athlon II x2 425e 2.7ghz CPU.

He needs something better, partly for X-Plane 10 which I believe can utilise as many cores as are available and partly so that there's sufficient resources for when my Mum RDP's in whilst he's also using the PC (not necessarily when running X-Plane but just running general programs like browsers, organisers, photo/audio editors, CAD and so on).

He's got a rather outdated GPU, so I imagine that will bottleneck X-Plane if he gets a decent CPU, so if he doesn't upgrade the GPU now (which he may not), I imagine that he could easily use 4 or 6 cores for X-Plane and there would still be more than enough for my Mum to RDP in at the same time. All she really does is browse and check her e-mail with Thunderbird and X-Plane is installed on it's own separate drive from everything else, so there's no issue with fighting for disk access. If he does upgrade the GPU at some point, such that X-Plane will run a lot better on all cores, then my Mum can just use her tablet if desperate whilst he's flying.

Now the question I have is whether he should just get a Phenom II X4 (in fact I could give him my X4 955 and buy myself an 8-core AM3+ as I already have an AM3+ motherboard) or a Phenom II X6, or upgrade his motherboard to AM3+ and get an FX-6 or FX-8 CPU? Even secondhand on e-bay the Phenom II's don't seem to be much cheaper than a new FX-6300 3.5GHz for about £83. I think the FX-8350 4.0GHz for £143 is a bit steep for him but he might stretch to the FX-6350 3.9GHz for £100 or FX-8320 3.5GHz for £113.

Obviously the motherboard will cost anywhere between £40-70. He might need a new PSU going from a 45W CPU to a 95W or 125W one but I think his current one might actually be OK already. If not, he's going to have to upgrade it whether he gets a Phenom II or FX CPU anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hi, can you please provide the model of the motherboard and the power supply model.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 doveman

doveman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

Hi,

The motherboard is Asus M4A785TD-V EVO. I don't know the PSU model but that's not really a concern, he can get a new one (I might even have a spare one that will be suitable) if necessary.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

I think the cheapest option would be purchasing at least Phenom II X4 as it would be still cheaper then getting a new motherboard and CPU combo.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

To be frank, there really isn't that much of a gain to be had from moving to the FX series chips. An FX-6 series results in a (realistically) 3 core chip with AMD's version of HyperThreading. An FX-8 would net you a quad core, and a hair more power than the Phenom. The 955 is still a very potent chip, so don't sell it short.

However, I would suggest testing out what you want to do first, on your current system, then make the transitions.

Personally, I moved away from AMD a couple of years ago due to poor multitasking performance. Multi-threaded (within a single app) is fine, however, when loaded up, AMD chips don't seem to like changing between tasks too well. My personal test for this, was to fire up Handbrake, and start a 1080P encoding job, and then fire up a game. If the game is still playable, then everything is working fine. Is this a realistic test? For me yes, as I this was on a media center designed to re-compress on the fly, while also being the gaming machine hooked up to a massive TV. It also proved a very interesting weakness in the AMD design. Intel has no trouble with this test, and rarely shows any trouble with multitasking.

Please, take this into consideration while deciding what you want to do, and run the tests to see how the chips perform for your situation. Unique situations create unique outcomes.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#6 doveman

doveman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Thanks, that's interesting that the AMD CPUs don't handle multi-tasking very well either. Considering the intention to share the PC's resources, via RDP, and the fact that X-Plane runs much better on Intel, there doesn't really seem any points in AMD's favour, for this particular scenario at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users