Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 swtechworks

swtechworks

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

I am trying to replace the motherboard on my cousins HP G60-535dx.  I put a new motherboard in and got it all together and when I boot it up it doesn't post anything.  i have stripped it back down, put a different CPU in it and it still does not post anything.  Is the new motherboard bad? or am I missing something?  Thanks for the help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

What particular motherboard and I presumed it's the same board replacement? Where would this new motherboard acquired from? The processors for laptops also are lock down on their particular specification so you cannot just use any laptop cpu.

Tekken

#3 swtechworks

swtechworks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

It's an hp motherboard model # 578232-001. It is an exact match of the board I replaced. I got it on ebay, this is actually the 2nd, the 1st before I put it all together I tested it by powering it on to see if the fan would come on. It didnt, put it all together anyways and it still didn't work. Got another from someone else and the fan powered on when I tested it, then put it all back together now it doesn't post. I tried using the cpu that came with the other motherboard to see if it would work, all the parts are identical.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

You could run the old trusty bench test: pull out the motherboard place it on a non conductive surface like a wood table, put in 1 single stick of ram (try in each dimm if it does not post), cpu and cpu cooler, video card (only if you do not have onboard video) then connect the power supply (4 pin and 24pin to the motherboard) Connect a monitor and now short the power pins on the motherboard (where the power button connects) if it still does not power on, one of those components is bad.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 swtechworks

swtechworks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

I bench tested the motherboard and it still does not post.  The backlight on the screen turns on but that is it.  I actually tried the motherboard with the 3 identical cpus that I have and none of them posted.  Any other ideas?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

The problem with motherboard for laptops are hit and miss so there is definitely no assurance that a replacement for used pc boards would work. If there are more sources in acquiring another board then its a good path of consideration in saving more budget but sometimes its a headache in the end you have to accept. :)

Tekken

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

When you first disconnected the main board from the lcd panel did you do it with the battery out? When you plugged the lcd in to the new board was the battery out then as well. If this computer has an led lcd panel if you unplug the monitor cable from the main board or plug it in it can fry the motherboard.

Have you tried pulling the cmos battery out to reset the bios? Disconnect all other power or this won't reset the bios.

If you haven't already done this: take apart the lcd panel: take off the rubber screw plugs on the trim, unscrew, pull off the trim around it and unscrew it from the plastic back. Check that all cables that plug into the lcd panel are connected. Make sure you always disconnect all power sources before doing any work on any computer (battery, power plug etc.) you can leave the bios battery in.

Then recheck if you have any picture with bench test. Because you have a backlight on the lcd it tells me that it is getting power from the main board, it is possible that the cable was pulled lose when it was taken apart originally.

If it still does not work or does not post, I would start to suspect you have a faulty motherboard. Did you buy the board used? I know from experience that hp dv series and compaq g series had problems with built in video chipsets overheating and failing.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 swtechworks

swtechworks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

When you first disconnected the main board from the lcd panel did you do it with the battery out? When you plugged the lcd in to the new board was the battery out then as well. If this computer has an led lcd panel if you unplug the monitor cable from the main board or plug it in it can fry the motherboard.

First thing I did before I started working on the laptop was remove the battery and all power sources to it.  I actually never reinserted the battery the whole time I was working on it.  When I was testing it I just plugged it directly into the AC power.

Have you tried pulling the cmos battery out to reset the bios? Disconnect all other power or this won't reset the bios.

I tried pulling the cmos battery out and I also tried using a different battery.

If you haven't already done this: take apart the lcd panel: take off the rubber screw plugs on the trim, unscrew, pull off the trim around it and unscrew it from the plastic back. Check that all cables that plug into the lcd panel are connected. Make sure you always disconnect all power sources before doing any work on any computer (battery, power plug etc.) you can leave the bios battery in.

Then recheck if you have any picture with bench test. Because you have a backlight on the lcd it tells me that it is getting power from the main board, it is possible that the cable was pulled lose when it was taken apart originally.

I have not tried to take apart the panel to check the video cables within the LCD panel, I can try this but before I do I have a question that you might be able to answer.  I tried connecting it to an external monitor also and it does not post anything on the external monitor.  Will it still make a difference if I take it apart?  Wouldn't it post to the external monitor regardless of the video cable being plugged in from the LCD panel? or does the LCD panel have to be plugged in?

If it still does not work or does not post, I would start to suspect you have a faulty motherboard. Did you buy the board used? I know from experience that hp dv series and compaq g series had problems with built in video chipsets overheating and failing.

I did actually buy the motherboard used, I have actually bought 2 of them.  The first had no power outputing to even the CPU fan, and then this one did have the power outputing to the fan but just does not seem to post.

Thanks so much for all the help!!!

#9 swtechworks

swtechworks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

The problem with motherboard for laptops are hit and miss so there is definitely no assurance that a replacement for used pc boards would work. If there are more sources in acquiring another board then its a good path of consideration in saving more budget but sometimes its a headache in the end you have to accept. :)

I am starting to believe this, I have not been having very good luck with board and have pretty much at this point given up on trying to get a new board for this computer. It is very unfortunate because it seems that it would be much more cost effective to just replace the motherboard but I am tired of getting boards and having to reship them back.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:08 AM

I have had trouble with HP computers on post using an external monitor, even using the FN key + the correct F1-12 key to switch to the external. Sometimes externals do not work on post or at a bios level is my best guess. You could try with an external monitor (connect the hard drive) and let the computer stay on long enough to boot to windows. This has worked with most hp models I have encountered when I needed to rule out the current lcd panel. If you still have no video then I would suspect a motherboard problem. Especially since the bench test did not work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users