Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

loooking to get new PC or upgrade mine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 epoweredrc

epoweredrc

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Hi everyone, I am new here and I have been looking at computers for a while. I have a Old GX280 dell that only has a 2.8ghz pro with 2.99 GB ram and a 40 GB HD I need a faster comuter. I would like one with at least 4GB if not 6GB or more, I am into Streaming live online broatcats and my current PC just doesnt do it very well. I can broadcast but it runs super slow and the lag time is so bad.

I keep seeing these dual core prosessor but there lower ghz then i have no like 1.4 and 1.8 and 2.8 but dual core so would this be faster then my 2.8ghz?

I also would love to switch to windows 7 cause i am runing Windows XP pro right now.

the wife has win 7 on her HP laptop and it runs so nice also her laptop broadcasts just fine it is a

AMD E-350

1.60ghz 3gb ram but only 2.60 usable

64 bit win 7

anyone got any info be great.

I like to get new pc ( doesnt have to be brand new) or upgrade mine for under $200.00 cause dont have much money thanks

Edited by epoweredrc, 13 January 2014 - 06:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

That was a great machine 10 years ago... now the only thing it will run reliably fast is LInux. The motherboard and components are so old they would likely all need replacing.

You are looking $500 minimum realistically to buy a decent machine to replace it. $200 just won't cut it.

Which application do you stream through? Might be able to offer some software/OS alternatives to pick your speed up.

#3 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

That was a great machine 10 years ago... now the only thing it will run reliably fast is LInux. The motherboard and components are so old they would likely all need replacing.

You are looking $500 minimum realistically to buy a decent machine to replace it. $200 just won't cut it.

Which application do you stream through? Might be able to offer some software/OS alternatives to pick your speed up.

I run Xplit. Like I said it don't have to be new, If I find a refurb machine that is fine. I just really missed out on a great machine on Ebay. it ended up selling for $200 but i wasn't home to bid on it, I had a high bid of $175.00  realistically I am sure it was a $500 machine  here is it specs

Gateway Model SX2803-25E Processor Intel Pentium E5800 3.2GHz Processor Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor Memory 6GB Hard Drive 1TB Optical Drive 1 DVDRW Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit CPU CPU Type Pentium CPU FSB 800MHz CPU Speed E5800 (3.20GHz) CPU Socket Type LGA 775 CPU Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor Memory Memory Capacity 6GB Hard Drive HDD Capacity 1TB Optical Drive Optical Drive Type DVD±RW

I love to shop on ebay,  I only paid $200 for our HP laptop but it was on sale at Wal mart. I wish i could find another deal like that but really like to know if the GHZ of the pro just doesn't make that huge of a difference, I would think so since I have a old compaq that is only 1.4 and its super slow

Edited by epoweredrc, 13 January 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

You guys in the States pay so much less for technology than we do here in Oz. They are shafting us at every opportunity.

Ebay then mate, go for it.... find another deal like that one you missed.

Good luck.

#5 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

You guys in the States pay so much less for technology than we do here in Oz. They are shafting us at every opportunity.

Ebay then mate, go for it.... find another deal like that one you missed.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, Well I think that might have been a once in lifetime, i wish i could had been here to bid on it, But really don't have the money to be spending, but my broadcasts are not the greatest so need to be better. I feel the laptop is being pushed to max, we can not have any other windows open except the xplit and the website were hosting on.

I used to be big into PC's but not really done much other then just online stuff not remembered lot of the stuff and Computers have change over the years. the Ram GB larger it is the more faster it will run correct?

I found this one on on a site they asking $175.00 for it   but its only a 1.48 ghz. is that going to run slow? but says its a duo

Product Identifiers Brand Gateway Model SX2110G-UW23 MPN DT.GEPAA.002 Type PC Desktop   Processor Processor AMD E1-1500 (1.48 GHz)   Hard Drive Hard Drive Capacity 500 GB Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7200 RPM   Memory Memory Type DDR3-SDRAM Memory (RAM) 6 GB   CD / DVD Optical Drive Type DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM   Video Graphic Card AMD Radeon HD 7310   Dimensions Depth 14.9 in. Height 10.4 in. Width 3.9 in.  

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

yeah, that's a crummy CPU, very slow. have a look at the benchmark for it here

patience is definitely a virtue when buying a computer,...

Sadly Xsplit is not supported on Linux yet, and doesn't work with Wine. There are people working on it though and it could very well be a reality this year.

#7 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

Thanks, that is a pretty neat website, Don't think i have ever been on it before. So just because of what processor it is, or because it is only a 1.4ghz?

even tho its a dual core.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

AMD make decent CPU's, and gamers often love them for their affordability and speed... But this one you were looking at is designed for smaller netbooks or notebooks, not really desktops.

#9 epoweredrc

epoweredrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thanks, I wonder why they put it into a desktop. Seem there is lot of junk on Ebay, but I got this GX280 off ebay about 3 yrs ago, its been a good PC for surfing the web just now I trying to broadcast I need something else. Do you happen to know of another broadcast program that work with XP pro that might run better? I tried the adobe one but wasn't much i could do with it.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

They put it into a desktop to cut corners and make more money... Cheap and cheerful.

I love free software... you could try this broadcast software. it's a Linux project but works on windows too. Apparently very quick. No frills.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Ebay has been super for me yes there is junk, but I picked a machine for near half its worth in mint new condition.  I have picked up a bunch of other stuff at great prices.  Custom built and white box has some good deals, many items are covered by Ebay Protection if it is bogus you can get your $$ back.  If you see something many times you have time to research the parts for both value and performance.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users