Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC with XP Home has CPU running Services.exe at 20%

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hawk70

Hawk70

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

I'm running XP home, I've tried turning services off that I don't need, I've uninstalled any/all programs that I don't use or need, nothing is working.

I even found a site that said to repair XP with SFC /scannow...I've tried that several times, but it keeps telling me that the installation CD is not the right one (when it is the one I installed from).  The CD has SP-2 and I had to download SP-3 when I updated after installation.

I even tried booting with the CD, and it won't go pass login for administrator (and yes I do put in the correct password) :)

I use to be a PC tech til about 8 years ago, so pc problems aren't new to me, but this one has me stumped.

I'd appreciate any help!

Hawk70

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

You will have to slipstream your XP install disk with SP3 in order to do a sfc/scannow. It is easy to so with a program called Autostreamer. This guide is for SP2 but the same applies for SP3.

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.shtml

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

Possible malware, see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/servicesexe-excessive-high-cpu/9fd07cfa-c0d2-4f72-9ae9-ade2f376e43f .

Where did you get the idea...that turning services off, etc...would resolve the problem?

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

The topic's title indicate a problem with Services running at 20%.  I wouldn't get excited about that percentage, it isn't that high.

What kind of problems to you believe this is causing?

If you believe this is due to a specific Service you can run a Clean Boot to determine what service is causing this.

Clean boot for Windows XP

1)  Click on Start> click on Run> type msconfig then click OK

The System Configuration Utility dialog box will be displayed.

2)  In the System Configuration Utility dialog box click on the General tab, then click Selective Startup.

xpcleanboot_zps1aa78561.png

3)  Click on the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box to remove the check mark.

4)  Click on the Process WIN.INI File check box to remove the check mark.

xpcleanboot2_zps4cc4d741.png

5)  Click on the Load Startup Items check box to remove the check mark. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.

6)  Click on the Services tab.

7)  Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.

8)  Click on Disable All, then click OK.

When you are prompted restart the computer.

If the problem does not occur after you restart the computer, follow these steps:

1)  Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 except that, in step 2, click to select half of the cleared check boxes.

2)  If the problem still does not occur after another restart, click to select half of the cleared check boxes again. Repeat this process until you have selected all the check boxes and the problem still does not occur.

3)  If the problem occurs after a restart, click to clear half of the check boxes that you last selected. Repeat this process until you can isolate the one service that is running when this problem occurs.

When you identify the service which is causing this problem post name of the service in your next post.

Once this process has been completed you need to return the computer to the normal startup mode.

1)  Click StartStart button in the Start Search box.

2)  Type msconfig, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

3)  On the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

4)  When you are prompted, click Restart.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

You will have to slipstream your XP install disk with SP3 in order to do a sfc/scannow. It is easy to so with a program called Autostreamer. This guide is for SP2 but the same applies for SP3.

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.shtml

JohnC_21 is correct.  Since you have SP3 installed you can't use the installation disc with SP2 to run sfc /scannow.

When you run sfc /scannow it will try to verify the SP3 files against the SP2 disc, this is why you will need to slipstream SP3 with the installation disc.

Edited by dc3, 14 January 2014 - 09:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users