Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot to re install Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

I have a HP Compac dc5100 ssf. I recently created a boot-able unattended install disk for Windows XP Pro.

Now that I ran it after my PC became unstable, I am not at all happy with the results.

My computer won't boot from the original install disc and when  I boot from the created disk it won't go into re install or format.

I fear I have permanently destroyed my system.

Any suggestions? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay_ws_BI&spf_p.rid_kbDocDisplay=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.rst_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c00189283-1%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken , see page 1-11.  If you don't have that disk or a backup...you are probably stuck with what you have.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

I believe the reason it will not boot is because you have a SMART III Serial ATA controller according to the specs. XP does not natively support SATA drives. The drivers have to be slipstreamed into a XP install disk or installed via a floppy disk during install. You may get it to boot by going into the BIOS and changing the mode from AHCI to IDE if it is available. Because security updates for XP are going away in April of this year, you will be vulnerable to any security issues that are found as Microsoft will not longer offer security patches for XP which will be a big opening for malware. I would recommend you install a Linux distro like Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or Linux Mint 13 LTS. You can get most equivalent programs for free through the software manager. Ubuntu has a tremendous amount of support. Or you can purchase a Windows 7 OEM disk. That will recognize your SATA drive.

#4 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

At first it wouldn't boot and then it was getting errors and not setting up.

I did some online research and ran the built in BIOS diagnostics tests.  Apparently it fixed the problem as right now I am performing a clean install.

Hard drive is formatting and all is looking good. My old install was so messed up I couldn't install other programs without getting an 'exception occurred' notice.

Even with programs I had used successfully before. In consolation i will never again attempt to slipstream a custom install. Thanks for you prompt response.

#5 BobbyG6200

BobbyG6200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

I believe the reason it will not boot is because you have a SMART III Serial ATA controller according to the specs. XP does not natively support SATA drives. The drivers have to be slipstreamed into a XP install disk or installed via a floppy disk during install. You may get it to boot by going into the BIOS and changing the mode from AHCI to IDE if it is available. Because security updates for XP are going away in April of this year, you will be vulnerable to any security issues that are found as Microsoft will not longer offer security patches for XP which will be a big opening for malware. I would recommend you install a Linux distro like Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or Linux Mint 13 LTS. You can get most equivalent programs for free through the software manager. Ubuntu has a tremendous amount of support. Or you can purchase a Windows 7 OEM disk. That will recognize your SATA drive.

I have a USB set up to install Ubuntu and a 500 page book on Linux. Just need to install it and start reading. Linux looks easier than DOS.

I also plan to download and save all the net.framework and other updates. Thanks again

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2014 - 08:06 AM.
Fixed quote - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users