Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Barry Bonds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

Yesterday, Barry Bonds hit his 713th home run, so he is one short of Babe Ruth, and 42 short of Hank Aaron. Many people believe that Barry Bonds should not be listed in the record books if he breaks Aaron's record due to his involvement in the steroid scandal in Major League Baseball (even though he's not been convicted). Some have even gone so far as to say that he shouldn't be allowed into the Hall of Fame. The many people who feel this way claim that steroids have given him an unfair advantage over all the other players who ever played the game.

Now, here's my take on it..... Barry Bonds, even if juiced for most of his home runs, is not the only great player to ever have an unfair advantage in the record books. For one thing, Babe Ruth did not have to play against black players. Satchel Paige (a black pitcher who did not pitch in the MLB until after pitching in the negro leagues for almost 20 years) is considered by many baseball historians to be the first pitcher to break the 100 mph barrier. He never faced Ruth because he was in the other league. For that matter, maybe Roger Marris didn't break the Babe's season home run record, because the Babe's season was 8 games shorter. Finally, maybe Warren Spahn and Cy Young shouldn't be on the list for all time career wins because they got to play on a higher mound.

I hope I've fully expressed my point. I want to know where other people stand on this issue.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:50 PM

Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Edited by yano, 08 May 2006 - 11:03 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:02 PM

(*) also. Even if there is no proof of cheating. He and Aaron played in a different game than Ruth for one. A dead ball era when for the firsst part until he kept hitting them,HR's weren't the actual goal of the game.
But I feel do to all the different factors, (#games,at bats , walks,sacs, ballpark sizes) all the HR records should be based on # Plate appearances and their HR rate. Therefore all the numbers are off and should be (*)
So for fun here's some projections,move all to Aaron's most At bats

Name .....Games.....At-bats ....HRs..... Rate%
=============================
Aaron..... 3298.....12,364......755.....6.1
Mays ..... 2992.....10,881...... 660.....6.1
Ruth ..... 2503.......8,399......714.....8.5
Bonds..... 2439.......8,335......613....7.4

Projected HRs
======================
Ruth 1051
Bonds 909
Aaron 755
Mays 750
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Now with plate appearances the #'s are

PA.....HR.....HR %.....Proj HR
===========================
Aaron......13940.....755.....5.4.....755
Mays.......12493.....660.....5.3.....736
Ruth........10617.....714.....6.7.....937
Bonds......10417.....613.....5.9.....820

Ruth still comes out thas the best of all time
Unless we add in another juicer they say.

McGwire......7660......583......7.6.....1061

Statistics are like a string bikini: What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is crucial.

numbers from Baseball | TrackBack
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users