Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The cleaner, Temporary File Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SummerRayz

SummerRayz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

I hope this is the right forum to post this problem.  It was suggested that I use the cleaner called Temporary File Cleaner or TFC during routine clean up processes by a forum moderator.  However, the last two times I started it, the process caused a Windows error.  I don't have an error number or message to write here as there was none.  My system just got very unresponsive and the TFC program itself started rocking or moving on the screen.  At some point there was a very quick message saying Windows needed close.  I tried to shut the program down, but it wouldn't respond.  Some files were deleted in the very brief cleaning process.  It seems my PC just doesn't like this cleaner.  The version is 3.1.9.0 by Old Timer Tools.  I'm running Windows 7.  I'm thinking I need to uninstall this program and reinstall it if there's a later version.  But maybe you have another file cleaner that my PC might like better.  I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Here is a link to a well regarded, free temporary file cleaning program.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Just remember to stay away from it's registy cleaning function, it's not necessary.

Edited by GB2064, 13 January 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#3 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 37,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Greetings,

Try to run this instead.

===================================================

ATF Cleaner by Atribune

--------------------
  • Download ATF Cleaner and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe
  • Under Main choose Select All
  • Uncheck cookies
  • Click the Empty Selected button
If you use Firefox web browser
  • Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
  • NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Uncheck cookies
If you use Opera web browser
  • Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
  • NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Uncheck cookies

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

if you ran the cleaner right after updates without rebooting it could cause the issues you're talking about, the application itself is known safe... but if it's causing errors i suggest you restore you're system to before you used it and manually remove your temp files. once again, don't do this if you have not restarted your machine since updates.

del /q/f/s %TEMP%\*

on the command line will clean up tons of junk, if it exists.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Here is a link to a well regarded, free temporary file cleaning program.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Just remember to stay away from it's registy cleaning function, it's not necessary.

I used this for years.

Vouch.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

...I'm thinking I need to uninstall this program and reinstall it if there's a later version.  But maybe you have another file cleaner that my PC might like better.  I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.

TFC was last updated by OldTimer 6/23/12...that was version 3.1.9.0. TFC is a stand-alone tool...meaning it does not require installation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 SummerRayz

SummerRayz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

if you ran the cleaner right after updates without rebooting it could cause the issues you're talking about, the application itself is known safe... but if it's causing errors i suggest you restore you're system to before you used it and manually remove your temp files. once again, don't do this if you have not restarted your machine since updates.

del /q/f/s %TEMP%\*

In reply to the above quote:  My pc isn't having trouble now, only when I try updating some of these utilities.  I also tried to run Adware Cleaner and had problems with Secunia Personal Security that has HOSTS PUPs on it.  I had trouble with all three.  These utilities are now gone from my system tray and I didn't delete or uninstall them! It just happened.  I didn't notice these icons were gone from my pc when I posted here.  And no, . . . I didn't reboot after updating these cleaners.  Now I'm remembering the forum moderator warning me to set a restore point.  Oh, oh!

Malwarebytes seems to run without special treatment and JRT: Junkware Removal Tool seems steady on my pc.  They don't seem to require a reboot. 

This is all scary.  I'd rather use cleaning utilities that I don't have to be so careful with.  I'm not knowledgable enough to use some kinds of cleaning software with confidence.  I'm also not savvy enough to brave typing in the command line what you suggested.  Someone here wrote that deleting from the registry isn't necessary, but I saw logs I ran on a recent pups incident I had that showed pups in the registry, so . . . it seems necessary to remove evil things from there.  But not me! No, no, no . . . Only with guidance!!!

Thanks to all who post here with  :thumbup2: cleaners :thumbup2:  cause I'll be checking them out.

Edited by SummerRayz, 13 January 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

BTW, CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files...I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaning feature unless you have a good understanding of the registry.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

del /q/f/s %TEMP%\*

In reply to the above quote:  My pc isn't having trouble now, only when I try updating some of these utilities.  I also tried to run Adware Cleaner and had problems with Secunia Personal Security that has HOSTS PUPs on it.  I had trouble with all three.  These utilities are now gone from my system tray and I didn't delete or uninstall them! It just happened.  I didn't notice these icons were gone from my pc when I posted here.  And no, . . . I didn't reboot after updating these cleaners.  Now I'm remembering the forum moderator warning me to set a restore point.  Oh, oh!

Malwarebytes seems to run without special treatment and JRT: Junkware Removal Tool seems steady on my pc.  They don't seem to require a reboot. 

This is all scary.  I'd rather use cleaning utilities that I don't have to be so careful with.  I'm not knowledgable enough to use some kinds of cleaning software with confidence.  I'm also not savvy enough to brave typing in the command line what you suggested.  Someone here wrote that deleting from the registry isn't necessary, but I saw logs I ran on a recent pups incident I had that showed pups in the registry, so . . . it seems necessary to remove evil things from there.  But not me! No, no, no . . . Only with guidance!!!

Thanks to all who post here with  :thumbup2: cleaners :thumbup2:  cause I'll be checking them out.

CCleaner can be used to automatically clean temp files, junk files etc. each time you boot up. I have been doing this for years so I don't have to remember to do that. CCleaner is the only tool that does this automatically and I don't use it for anything else. There is nothing wrong with ATF or TFC but they are not average user friendly.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

ATF Cleaner was created to work on Windows 2000/XP/Vista...there were reported problems with FireFox not loading pages properly after running ATF to clean the Firefox cache and download history if you had Firefox opened during cleaning.

TFC was created to work with Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit)

However, neither ATF Cleaner or TFC have been updated by their developers for a long time now.

#11 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,079 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hi,

With TFC you sometimes need to run it in safe mode to get it to work properly. CCleaner is also a good option, and it has other functions which can be used (I suggest not touching the registry cleaner though, I've seen people break their OS with it before).

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Yea...I recall we had to use safe mode for ATF on a few occasions...but for a generally purpose cleaning tool, booting into safe mode just for that is a PITN.

#13 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,079 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Oh yeah, you want something easy to use really. Booting into safe mode, whilst not hard, is out of the way for most people. It doesn't always happen, but I've seen it enough. Really, another tool for easily cleaning temp files e.c.t. without installing would be nice (other than the two mentioned here, as they have some problems and are not really being worked on anymore).

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

A few other alternatives I have in my notes.

#15 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• 37,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

quietman7 you are a wealth of information!

Thanks,

Gary
Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users