Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeating Key Presses

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fizzle8

Fizzle8

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hello,

I am helping a friend fix his HP TrueVision HD ENVY dv6 Laptop running Win8 64.

The problem is, whenever he logs into windows, the p key keeps typing by itself repeatedly.

This only occurs once the OS boots. If I start the BIOS their is no issue, and if I boot from a recovery CD or other CD based media their is no issue. I can type fine without any unwanted key presses. This leads me to believe that it is a software issue, not a problem with the actual keyboard.

My friend did not provide me with a recovery CD, the computer came with a recovery partition installed instead.

After removing the harddrive from the laptop and backing up his data via a drive toaster on my pc, I reinstalled the harddrive and used the HP recovery utility (accessed by pressing f11 on startup) to copy the recovery partition to a 32GB flashdrive. I then proceded to reinstall the OS using the recovery software. (Clean Install) I set everything back to default and completely reformatted the drive.

I did notice that the HD wanted to run an error check when plugging it into my pc. But it seemed to complete the error check without any issues.

I launched the first time setup and to my dismay, at the prompt to name the computer, the p button started pressing repeatedly once again!

This is my first post on a computer forum as I can almost always find the answers via google, but this issue is quite elusive as most answers consist of "Use a vacume to suck the dirt out of your keyboard." or "you have a virus, try running system restore."

Let me know if I neglected to provide any important information.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

~Fizzle~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

I assume the computer has a touch screen? You could try tapping the p key a few times and see if it stops after that. If not I would try disabling the touch screen digitizer in device manager and see if that stops it from happening.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Also possible that there is a smudge on the screen, where the P key is.  Try uninstalling the touchscreen drivers and let Windows reinstall the default.  Also see in Assistance, that stickykeys or repeating is not checked.

#4 Fizzle8

Fizzle8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately this particular laptop is not equipped with a touch screen. So I assume the touch screen digitizer is not available to disable. I did try tapping the p key. About a thousand times. Definitely not a stuck key. I will look into the sticky keys option but I believe that is disabled during initial setup.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

If you have the ability to take out the keyboard and unplug it from the main board, and then plug it back in (while the computer is off) I might suggest that. You said it does not happen in any linux distro? What about something like http://www.boot-disk.com/ I would still be suspect that there is some issue with the keyboard that linux is not displaying especially if you have already reloaded windows and it is still occuring.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Fizzle8

Fizzle8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

It's a laptop and unfortunately I don't have enough experience to take it apart, disconnect the keyboard and then successfully put it back together. If I get desperate I may give that a shot as a last resort after my friend says he's just gonna junk it.

I actually haven't tried booting to a linux distro yet. I actually booted to a disc of a program called Spotmau (http://www.spotmau.com/products/package/powersuite.html) Which I believe is very close to what the "boot-disk" site offers. I can try to boot to linux but I don't see how that would help as I have already established that the issue only exists once windows is reinstalled from the recovery partition that was copied to my flash drive using hp's recovery utility from within the bios.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the laptop got a virus and the virus infected the recovery partition and the recovery partition was then copied to my flash drive and used to reinstall windows. Is it even possible for a virus to infect a recovery partition or am I just being paranoid?

At this point I'm going to try to reinstall windows from the recovery partition again while simutaniously downloading the latest linux distro. If the reinstall doesn't work I'll try booting into linux to verify that the problem is with my image of windows 8 and not with the hard drive or keyboard.

I'll update the post if anything changes, otherwise keep the suggestions comming! Thanks again for your time. :)

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

There are a lot of bad keyboards coming out of the factories, installed in laptops.  Toshiba is so backlogged, that it took a month to get my laptop keyboard repaired, due to they are getting a lot of units coming back for keyboard replacement.

There is only one factory manufacturing the keyboards now, and they are definitely producing too many at a high failure rate, unlike in the past you never had this many failures.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

I have seen infections hit recovery partitions but this is extremely rare. Definitly boot to linux from a disc, there are many versions of linux to use a small one puppy linux would work fine. If the p key is still having issues there, you would know for certain the keyboard is faulty. The bios probably does not recognize the p key as valid input and would just ignore it. Linux or any other full os would be the best bet. Keyboards are usually cheap and you can find them on ebay new usually in the U.S. for less than $40. Installing the keyboard can be easy or in some cases very challenging. Someone likely has done a walkthrough on youtube already for that model.

#9 Fizzle8

Fizzle8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

As I have stated before I don't think it is a bad keyboard for 2 reasons. 1) When booting from a disc the problem does not occur. 2) When the issue is occuring, the p key is being pressed at a steady rate of about 4 presses per second. When I hold down the p key this rate doubles to about 8 presses per second. If this was just a hardware issue, wouldn't the rate of the p's being pressed be the same if I pressed the key or not? Thanks for the reply.

#10 Fizzle8

Fizzle8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

Thanks zingo and greg for the continued support. I'll give booting to linux a shot and update with the results.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

It could be that the boot disc you are using has a generic driver that for some reason does not cause the key to act up but when windows loads a more specific driver then the p key goes crazy. If it does not act up in linux but continues to do so in windows, you could try reloading windows from restore media directly from hp (restore discs you can order), if it still happens from a fresh restore from discs you could rule out software.

#12 Fizzle8

Fizzle8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Ok so I downloaded and ran SliTaz linux. Upon login the issue occured again. I would seem that my logic was flawed and it is a hardware issue after all. I'll have to contact my friend to find out if he want's me to dive into the wonderful world of laptop hardware maintence and get my feet wet with his machine. Unless this is some sort of crazy driver issue (which I doubt) I'm guessing it's either an issue with the actual keyboard or a bad harddrive (the hard drive would occasionaly give errors). I'll see how my friend wants to proceed and will report back.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

I have never seen a bad hard drive cause key presses, if you booted to linux from a cd or dvd this rules out the hard drive as the cause anyway (you may still have bad sectors or errors on the hard drive but that would require running a test like MHDD). I am 100% certain it is an issue with the keyboard. It could be the connection at the motherboard or the electric component in the key itself. If this computer has the aluminum shell covering the keyboard (kind of like macs do) it mat not be an easy fix. You may end up tearing it down from the bottom up and removing every component just to get to the keyboard. If you have never done a computer repair this is not the place to start. If you can upload a picture of the top of the computer I can tell you if it would be easy. I have personally done a few dv6 envy's (may not be the same model as yours because dv6 has been a title for years) and some were easy, others were full tear downs.

#14 Fizzle8

Fizzle8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

Ok well my friend doesn't want me to waste anymore of my time with it. I guess he's probably gonna take it into a repair shop or something. Thanks for all the help. Sorry we weren't able to get the problem solved on here for anyone else with the same issue. All the same, thanks so much for the help. Regards.

~Fizzle~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users