Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IBM Intellistation Z pro 6221

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Giorgi Massimo

Giorgi Massimo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Hello there,

I am new in this forum>

Question:

from my previous business I have inherited two of these fantastic dinosaurs IBM Intellistation Z Pro 6221 of which I love the design.

There is no really point to get them going 12 years old technology a $350 pc today will run more efficiently.

As I said I love the design of this machine.

My question is very simple can I replace the motherboard with one of todays technology in order to install a modern processor buildin a new pc inside the IBM box?

Will the new generation board  fit easily  in the IBM case or the task is really not worth?

I don't mind a little adaptation here and there.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

You may be able to put the parts in the case, but you're going to have to replace the power supply also as the power supply that is currently in that machine will not have the correct connections that you will need.

Do you really like the case?  Because that's all you're going to be able to transfer over to the new build, and even that will be questionable.

Personally I'd vote not worth it.

#3 Giorgi Massimo

Giorgi Massimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

Thanks

I agree if the power supplier is not compatible then also the two DVD writers are not sata the fan may end up in the wrong position.

I abandon the project.

If somebody is interested in these two machines please let me know.

Regards

#4 Giorgi Massimo

Giorgi Massimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Other question I have an old  Matrox RTX video editing card which never worked properly on those IBM as I have an amount of old family video tapes from old camcorders ( I tried the USB devices but the quality capture is very poor) is there any current upmarket motherboard which still comes with the old PCI slot (at least one) ?

Thanks

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

PCI slots have not changed. Many (most, if not all) desktop computers have them these days, too.

There is no guarantee the OS will support your card though. You need to check which bit rate and OS it will work on.

Edited by TsVk!, 13 January 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#6 Giorgi Massimo

Giorgi Massimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users