Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC monitor or HDTV, which should I get for my primary computer display?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Greetings,

I am in the market for a new display for my computer. However, at this point, due to "convergence", it seems superfluous to market and sell monitors for both PC's and monitors as "TV's", why would I choose to use one display technology over the other for my primary computer monitor? I noticed that HDTV's give you a LOT more screen size for you money than do stand-alone PC monitors. However, shouldn't I still choose to use a PC monitor over an HDTV "monitor" due to the distances that they are normally used at? Or, asked another way; why would I choose to go with a dedicated PC monitor instead of an HDTV?

Also; a separate question about refresh rates on both an HDTV and a PC monitor. If I choose to go with an HDTV instead of a dedicated PC monitor for my primary display, shouldn't I look for a certain refresh rate that will preclude me from receiving eye strain and headaches? And if so, what should that refresh rate be?

I use my computer display about equally for both text and graphics/video purposes.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Hi

I'll say this, I do it both ways.

I use a All-In-One computer for forum work, And I use a 32"HDTV for my Desktop computer.

Pros

Monitors can run a higher resolution than a HDTV.

HDTVs are a lot cheaper for a large size

TV sets and Computer monitors may use a different color space.

and Cons

HDTVs usually have a limited set of supported resolutions.

If Your HDTV does not have a dedicated computer input or a Mode that has zero over-scan You may have to fiddle with the computer's settings to get the entire screen onscreen without part of it being beyond the edge of the screen.

HDTVs can be to large to be handy.

I have a 24" HDTV that supports 1080p and has a computer input (unused currently except as a TV).

The 32"HDTV I use is large enough that I sit away from it and use a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse set with it. It is also used for TV, Media player, BluRay player etc. When it is that big or bigger You can not sit real close, it will not be comfortable. I run mine at 768p resolution, 1366 by 768 resolution.

Any HDTV used with a computer also should have the ability to set the various settings for each input separately and have them be saved. The cheapo 24" I mentioned only has one setting for everything.

I Hope this helps You

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

You are looking far too deeply into this, almost all monitors (PC) on the market are either 60Hz or 120Hz refresh rate, and connecting a computer to a TV results in 60Hz or 120Hz refresh rate.

The difference in monitors is a lot of time the response time, monitors generally have a much faster response time (down to 1ms) than TV's (most of the time these hover between 10-20ms) now for movies and shows sitting at a distance you wont notice all that much, even console gaming again sitting at a distance you wont notice much, and PC gaming at a distance will be great on a TV, but when you use a TV at a similar range as you would a monitor that is when you see the issues.

I prefer to use monitors for regular gaming, but with my laptop I will sometimes connect it to my TV, its great.

It really comes down to preference, if you want a screen that is going to be around 5-10 feet away from you, a mid range TV will be great, if you want a close screen then go for a monitor. If you want a TV that will be close DO YOUR RESEARCH find one with a fast response time (8ms is about as slow as you want for gaming so a 120Hz may be a better option, but a GOOD 120Hz TV, not some cheapo that claims 120Hz) its going to be a bit of legwork but you can find these details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users