Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Professional Networking Issues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

I've got quite a weird situation going on here.

Here are the issues.

1. I cannot ping ANY IP address other than the computer's own IP address and "localhost".

2. I can still browse my SMB (Windows network) shares on my server (however, like #1 states, I cannot ping it).

3. Running "net view 192.168.1.2" shows everything's there on my network server.

4. I've tried running "netsh int ip reset reset.txt, netsh winsock reset and netsh firewall reset" in the command prompt, after rebooting, still nothing.

5. This computer is set for a static IP address, however, when set to DHCP it is able to retrieve an IP address.

6. I've tried running the program, Tweaking.com and running EVERY (regardless if it dealt with networking or not) fix there was listed, still nothing.

7. I've tried running the winsockxpfix program (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/winsock_xp_fix.html) with no luck.

8. Nothing seems wrong with the network cards because I've swapped them and still the same issue. It works fine running a live CD of Linux.

9. I've ran multiple anti-malware programs with no luck.

10. I have two "Network Connections" listed in Control Panel.

11. Viewing the connections in the control panel, it is listed as "Connected, Firewalled"

12. I've tried disabling the firewall will still no luck.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 with the latest updates (until this happened). I have no idea what else I can do. Any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2014 - 02:19 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Try running Farbar Service Scanner http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/  You could try Mini toolbox http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/ Also are you using any type of Internet Security software on this computer?  Have you tried rebooting the modem & router?  Are any other computers also having issues connecting to the Internet through your Modem & Router?

Edited by Greg62702, 13 January 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#3 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I ran the FSS tool. Nothing weird showed up there. Same with MiniToolBox.

I'll go ahead and upload both log files. I have tried resetting the switch and router with no luck. I've had zero problems with the network with any other computer.

FSS.txt is...well for the Farbar Service Scanner and Result.txt is for the MiniToolBox

Attached Files

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

My concern is that the FSS.txt is showing Google & Yahoo offline.  What modem & router are you using, and who is your ISP?  Can you do a traceroute to google.com or yahoo.com in a Command window, and post the results (edit out your IP of your modem, which should be hop 2 or 3).

#5 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Well here's the thing. I have anywhere between 4 to 20 computers connected through this network (I work at a computer repair shop...oh the irony). This is the ONLY computer that is having such issues. The other computers have no problems pinging yahoo or google.

I'm using a Linksys (wireless) router with (I believe) a Cisco switch. The ISP is Mediacom.

I'm currently at home right now but I'll check the traceroute tomorrow morning.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Try uninstalling the adapter drivers, then reinstall.  Problem with XP, is that a lot of stuff is not even available anymore, so you may end up having to talk that customer into moving into Vista, or possibly Windows 7, if the machine is capable of running halfway decent with 7 loaded on it.

I have a old Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204 downstairs, that has 512mb RAM, and will work fine with the Trendnet TEW-621p Wireless-N PCMCIA card that is in there.  As long as I do not use the Trendnet wireless software for controlling the connection, let XP manage the connection, things will work fine.  Once I load up the Trendnet software to control the wireless connection, things go South.

What is the Wireless adapter that this machine is using, and is there any software loaded on it, from that manufacturer of the adapter, that is controlling the wireless or network connection.  If so, try uninstalling that third party software and let Windows manage.

You may come down to that after all of this, it may not even be worth putting anymore effort into it.  That old Toshiba I listed above, I spent a month working on it, before I got it to properly work and update all Windows updates.  I finally have put it away until I may need it, or find a buyer that wants a simple laptop for word processing, or email.

Edited by Greg62702, 13 January 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#7 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

This is the shops computer. I was just mentioning that it was a wireless router. The computer is plugged into the switch which is then plugged into the router.

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

Try uninstalling the adapter driver, reboot the machine, then see if Windows XP will load the default.  If not, load the driver from a USB stick.  But really it sounds like the controller is showing that its time is up, to put that machine out of its misery.  Especially if it will only be able to run XP and nothing newer, or have hardware that is replaceable.

#9 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Here's the thing, I can load the Kaspersky disk (live Linux CD) and ping Google DNS, google.com, yahoo.com, ping my gateway and ping my Windows network server just fine. Same exact computer, same exact networking hardware.

I just got done uninstalling the drivers and reinstalled the latest ones for XP. Still, no luck. So my guess is that something is badly broken with XP.

Edited by ImageJPEG, 14 January 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Have you tried changing DNS server address to obtain automatically instead of the public DNS?

Tekken

#11 ImageJPEG

ImageJPEG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

I did that but that still wouldn't help the fact that I cannot ping addresses in my own local network. I gave up on it and I'm now running FreeBSD on it. Same IP settings and all. Works just fine. I suppose this topic can be closed now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users