Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: A stranger lost in a strange land

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Snowydog

Snowydog

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Could not copy and paste the template so will try my best to answer

my Budget:   $700 or under...we are looking to buy two computers.

Primary Uses:   email, web browsing,  projects such as cards, labels, craft projects, writing, research,  accounting, Hulu....would like to try Netflix

Software intended:    something like Print shop or Avery or  design

Play Games:   download games from Big Fish, Pogo, etc.  (does that sound lame?)

Many programs open at once:  Umm  not sure.I currently have a Dell Dimension 8300.  I have firefox as  browser, use AOL as homepage and mail. Windows XP. I tend to leave computer  on when i walk away from it.

Store music or photos:   Photos YES!  Want to be able to do more with photos and store more. Currently have Fine Pix viewer

So this all sounds lame, right?  Makes me feel outdated :) along with computer.   I would like capabilities to learn and do a bit more graphic work, projects. Create  greeting cards,  tags, labels, etc.etc.    I try to do research on topics,  do a lot of browsing. Download information for a project I am attempting. 

I need something that is easy to understand, has a decent memory  (am tired of virtual memory to low box) and decent speed.

A 23 inch monitor  would be nice,  new keyboard and wireless mouse.    we just got a HD tv,  but its not smart.

I am not savvy about GB size, so the numbers are confusing me. Any suggestions or guidance as to what to look for  as far as memory and speed?

Hubby has same model but he needs to do graphics, schematics on his. Windows  8 does not support the software he needs to use...he really does not want to go back to Autocad.   he spends oodles of time on  sites, graphics are important. webcasts, etc.  

We have wireless set up Use charter cable

Many thanks for your patience, not laughing and assistance

Edited by Snowydog, 13 January 2014 - 11:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Hi, based from the information provided, a basic PC that can handle web browsing and graphics projects is that is needed to which the Asus All-In-One PC would suit your needs. It has a dual core i3, 4GB of ram, 500GB of storage space which hopefully would be large enough for your projects and a nice 23inch 1080p screen to work with. The only thing this PC does not include is a wireless mouse unfortunately but you can purchase separate wireless mouse from your local Walmart. 

For your partner, more CPU power would benefit for the software that he uses, the only differences between the PC that i will suggest and the Asus is the CPU, it runs Windows 7 Pro and it does not include a monitor. 

PC: Dell Optiplex 469-3195 - $550

Monitor: HP W2371d - $150

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Snowydog

Snowydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

Thank you for your reccommendations.   The  technology  can be confusing for me.

If I may ask, what is the difference between a pentium processor, AMD and Intel Core?

My husband  runs Autosketch 10....which seems to only be available to work with Windows XP or Wnindows 2000  which would be steps backwards, right?    He would need more storage than 500 GB.  is 1 or 2 TB overkill???   Would external hard drive backup  be the best way to go?

Again, thank you Michael..this gives me a starts.   We can flex the budget a bit if there is a better deal for more power..... as long as we don't hurt ourselves <S>

Cheers!

Amy

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:57 AM

Thank you for your reccommendations.   The  technology  can be confusing for me.

If I may ask, what is the difference between a pentium processor, AMD and Intel Core?

My husband  runs Autosketch 10....which seems to only be available to work with Windows XP or Wnindows 2000  which would be steps backwards, right?    He would need more storage than 500 GB.  is 1 or 2 TB overkill???   Would external hard drive backup  be the best way to go?

Again, thank you Michael..this gives me a starts.   We can flex the budget a bit if there is a better deal for more power..... as long as we don't hurt ourselves <S>

Cheers!

Amy

Breaking it down:

Intel = Company

= Both designs and engineers processors (CPU) and other products. 

AMD = Company

The Pentium is the name of Intel's low end range of processors, below is a run down of both Intel and AMD's current range of CPUs.

Intel(low end to high):

-Celeron

-Pentium

- Core i3

-Core i5

-Core i7

-Xeon (For servers)

AMD(low end to high):

- Sempron

- A4

-A6

-A8

-A10

-FX4xxx

-FX6xxx

-FX8xxx

-Opteron (For servers)

Assuming he has the latest version of Autosketch, it should work with Windows 7 and 8 as the software is generally updated to support newly released operating systems (OS). The amount of storage would be up to him as i do not know how big a project can be and if they will be permanently stored on the computer although a external hard drive isn't a bad idea for storing all projects on there.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Snowydog

Snowydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Thank you for helping me learn!   You have replied very clearly, yet respectfully not talking down to me!  It is a learning curve and can be daunting.    Media tends to try to sway thoughts and I have been stuck in Dell and Pentium  mode.

I am learning there are glitches with getting Autosketch to run on Windows  7, and definitely Windows 8. Autodesk has not issued a good upgrade, but I am learning there is an Autosketch release.......

There is also a way to run Windows XP in Windows 8.  A VirtualXPVHD file?    Guess it's good to keep learning.

Again, Thank you for your patience and kindness

Amy

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

Thank you for helping me learn!   You have replied very clearly, yet respectfully not talking down to me!  It is a learning curve and can be daunting.    Media tends to try to sway thoughts and I have been stuck in Dell and Pentium  mode.

I am learning there are glitches with getting Autosketch to run on Windows  7, and definitely Windows 8. Autodesk has not issued a good upgrade, but I am learning there is an Autosketch release.......

There is also a way to run Windows XP in Windows 8.  A VirtualXPVHD file?    Guess it's good to keep learning.

Again, Thank you for your patience and kindness

Amy

I wouldn't say its the clearest explanation but that's the best i can do :) Hmmm, running Autosketch in a virtual machine isn't a bad idea as with Windows 7 Pro, you can download and use Windows XP Mode. Unfortunately in Windows 8, it does not include this feature meaning you will have to purchase a separate software which can do it.  

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users