Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled windows 8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rchapman4697

rchapman4697

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I have a question about windows 8. I recently had to do a factory restore on a new Gateway desktop computer due to viruses. I had installed a extra hard drive just for data. When I did the re-install, windows asked me if I only wanted to format the hard drive with windows installed on it, instead it formatted both drives. I was wondering what type of format does windows 8 do? I lost a lot of important irreplaceable data, and why would it format both drives?, when I told it not too. I was thinking I should have unplugged the drive but I didn't.  I am very disappointed. I have tried two different data recovery programs which I have spend nearly $200.00 on and all they  do is show a bunch of windows folders that do not have anything in them resembling my data, and how can this be? This drive never had windows installed on it and I purchased it brand new.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

What have you tried to recover the data?

If you haven't written anything on the hdd you might be able to recover the data using Recuva.

Something you may want to consider in the future.  If you have a infection and have two hdds, one for the operating system and one for data, either one of the hdds or both could be infected.  You should post a topic in the the  Am I Infected? What Do I Do?forum.

Edited by dc3, 13 January 2014 - 11:03 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Download Clonezilla Live and place on a USB Pen Drive.  Then you can image the whole drive, so that you can restore a clean image when you need.  No need to go out and pay for something.

As for data, never keep on the machine itself.  Keep it either on a cloud drive, get a Toshiba Canvio 1TB USB pocket drive, or get something like a Lenovo ix2 NAS, to save the data there.  That way you are not losing it, when you have to reinstall the OS on the computer.

I keep nothing on my computers.  It all goes on my NAS and a Owncloud server, that our family owns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users