Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I use HDMI output on the back of a desktop pc tower box?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

Greetings,

I went to a computer store yesterday for the first time in a very long time and looked on the back of a brand-new, low-end Gateway desktop PC tower box and noticed a new connector I have never seen before. It was an HDMI ouput jack (now on the back of even the cheapest PC's I guess). I know that HDMI means High Definition Multi-media interface and I think that it's used for connecting it to a High Definition TV instead of a conventional PC monitor. However, I am having trouble visualizing people hooking their desktop pc tower boxes up to a High Definition TV (mounted presumable on a wall for a large TV set) and then pulling their chair up to a Hi-def TV and using that for a "desktop personal computer". Wouldn't the level of lumens eminating from a High-Def TV blow away the retina in the eyeballs of people doing this, especially if someone tried doing this with a very large screen HD TV set?

I use my computer daily (for many hours a day) mostly for surfing the internet, reading websites, visiting forums, sending e-mails, reading blogs and so forth, all of which, by default, have bright white backgrounds with black text (usually very small text at that). I can't picture myself pulled up to a hi-def TV and using it in the stead of a conventional computer monitor. In situations like this (especially using a large screen), wouldn't that cause intense eye straining to read the small text typically found on the internet?

So the question then becomes, what exactly is the purpose or intention of an HDMI output on the back of new, low-end desktop tower PC boxes?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Firstly, you have to remember that even a low-end desktop can get a new graphics card, which (if you use it) is what controls your...well, graphics! This includes resolution, which can be easily increased from a default setup by obtaining a new graphics card. I personally have a 27" LCD monitor by Hanns-G and it connects via HDMI. So, to answer your question, the usefulness of the HDMI implementation is mostly directly affected by the monitor being used (whether it supports HDMI or is just a DVI or VGA monitor) and the graphics card being used—for example, I know the Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 does NOT support HDMI, so you'd have to get a HDMI-to-DVI adapter.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

HDMI out could be used to make the machine a home theater/media machine.  The advantage of HDMI over DVI is that it can also carry audio.

This picture shows you how television resolutions match up with monitor resolutions.  A 1080p display has the same resolution as a 1920 x 1080 monitor, that same that my 27" desktop monitors uses.

HDMI is the home theater version of the computer's Display Port adapter.  This page discusses the differences between Display Port and HDMI.

Actually a larger screen with a lower resolution makes the characters larger.  Plus Windows 7 allows you to upscale your text if you want it larger.

That all said I have a PC hooked up to a 1080p projector with a 92" screen at home and there are no issues reading web pages.  I haven't tried playing World of WarCraft on it since I upgraded to 1080p, on 720p it wasn't a high enough resolution to make it worth while.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users